PDA

View Full Version : Giving myself primisson to edit my files in windows partition from Linux!

James Busby
01-03-2004, 04:33 PM
I was looking around in mandrake linux and I found that I could open stuff in my windows partition(yay, MP3s on Linux) but I cant save stuff in it or delete stuff from it. I tryed to give myself primission from the primission changer thing(cant remember name) but still didnt work. I also lgged in as root but still couldnt. Tell me how some one!!

Graham L
01-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Is your Windows partition a NTFS one? It's a Good Idea to not allow NTFS writing from Linux. :D The FAT file system is well enough understod for Linux to write to it, and that's fairly safe. NTFS is not that well known.

James Busby
01-03-2004, 05:36 PM
> Is your Windows partition a NTFS one? It's a Good
> Idea to not allow NTFS writing from Linux. :D The
> FAT file system is well enough understod for Linux to
> write to it, and that's fairly safe. NTFS is not
> that well known.

ooh, I have NTFS.

PoWa
01-03-2004, 05:41 PM
I wonder if the NTFS sourcecode was in the source-code release... that would be a big advancement for linux! *Goes off to check*

James Busby
01-03-2004, 05:51 PM
> I wonder if the NTFS sourcecode was in the
> source-code release... that would be a big
> advancement for linux! *Goes off to check*

Yeah. How does linux team suppose make support for Fat and NTFS if they don't have source code. Same for eMule, How are they going to make support for overnet network if they don't have source code from Overnet? do they hack the programs or get the SDK or somehting?

Chilling_Silently
01-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Okay James, hope this helps:

xmule is a great Linux emule client!

They've had write-support for Fat12,16,32 for as long as Ive been using Linux...
NTFS Write support is still not complete, but is stable in the 2.6 kernel unless you want to use the Captive Project's way of doing it.

Google for the Captive Project (Ive not used it myself, but its supposedly great). The Captive Project alllows you to use the ntfs.sys file from a Windows installation to write to NTFS Partitions from in Linux.

Hope this helps

Chill.

James Busby
01-03-2004, 09:35 PM
OK, I'll try the Captive Project thing.

Thanks Chill and PoWa