PDA

View Full Version : A problem with Nortons AV solved

Tony.br
01-03-2004, 10:50 AM
I was going to post the message below on F1, but decided to send it to a friend in Israel first, (he is a Computer tutor at the local polytechnic) and his reply is at the end and it was totally successful.

I am sending it just in case others may encounter a similar problem...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have an odd problem and I wonder if anyone has an answer too it

I still run WIN98SE althoug goin to move to XP soon, and I have been a long term user, and fan of NORTONS AV and NORTON SYSTEM WORKS and have purchased updates over the years since the DOS days. Currently using SW 2002 and NAV 2003.

A couple of months ago my computer started Dialing into the net everytime I start up. I have to allow it to proceed and it will DOWNLOAD about 250 - 300k of data.

When I shut down, it briefly tries to connect again before the shutdown systems close this off

I did a lot of tests in MSCONFIG and I found that if I shut down the various NORTON Processes this problem ceases

The processes that I shut down are CCAPP - CCREGVFY - NVCPLDAEMON - NPROTECT - CCEVTMGR - SCRIPTBLOCKING

It doesn't seem to be any one of these processes, I have tried turning off different combinations but it no pattern is obvious.

Of course I ran SPYBOT and ADAWARE and also tried ZONEALARM settings, but the dialinmg process loaded before ZONEALARM is active so was ineffective.

Recently a Friend overseas suggested something I was unaware of.

When it is DOWNLOADING this data, from a prompt I ran NETSTAT and this is what I got

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP q5n6g9:1027 crl.verisign.com:80 ESTABLISHED
TCP q5n6g9:1028 crl.verisign.com:80 ESTABLISHED

www.verisign.com is a valid company providing all sorts of certification services so it would appear that NORTONS is using this, but a hunt of their site does not provide a reference to it.

I am getting so frustrated, I am seriously considering dumping nortons in favor of a competing product.

Any ideas anyone?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My friends reply was....

yes, indeed. apparently, the problem that plagued the entire internet during the first 2 weeks of January has just reached hobbiton

LOL

Open internet options, go to the 'advanced' tab and under 'security' UNCHECK the mark next to 'check for publisher's certificate revocation'

This is a (still) temporary workaround untill verisign and symantec pull their heads apart (i.e. stop making an ass of themselves) and come up with a permanent solution.

CYaBro
01-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Thanks for that Tony! I have seen this problem on a few PC's running NAV 2003 and was never able to track down a fix.

I will apply this "workaround" to the next one I come across and hopefully have the same success as you did :)