PDA

View Full Version : Task Manager wont show just the icon in the tray

Term_X
01-03-2004, 10:05 AM
Hi Folkz

Usually when ever one of my programs crashes/non responds i open the task manager and kill the program/process. But now when a program becomes unresponsive and i open task manager.. all i get is the icon in the task bar/icon tray and i cant even right click on it to show the task manager or close it .. eventually the msg comes up saying "etc etc is not responding and will shutdown" followed by the usual "do u want to send a report to microsft etc " msg. the program closes but i can get to the task manager.. the icon shows but i cant close it unless i reboot.. which works as per normal after the reboot, but once one program crashes and then shuts down.. it wont show after that,.

any help much apprceciated

Term X

running win xp pro

dchip
01-03-2004, 06:40 PM
This can happen when the system is tied up...all the available cpu cycles are being used therefore another program can't open, even the task manager.

This can have several causes some of which are: a buggy program, too many programs running, even a large buggy video file with conflicting codecs can lock up your system forcing a restart(using the button on the case).

Does the task manager open properly under normal operation? try it at startup when nothing or very little else is running and the ram is fresh.

What program are you trying to run??

If it only happens with that program try uninstalling it, reboot and re-install.(Re-install using another copy of the program if possilbe...the original install may be corrupt).

What hardware/drivers does the program use?
Check the "device manager" for problems with those devices/drivers.

btw here's a better alternative to the "windows task manager" it's called "Process Explorer v8.32" and you can download it free from here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/

Term_X
02-03-2004, 12:18 AM
hi dchip

yeps task manager runs sweet after startup, once any programs non respond, and thats when i try to open task manager then it wont show, and the icon remains in the tray and i cant right click on it to show the task manager or shut it down etc..any other programs i was using at the time run okay .. and also sometimes once one program crashes, then anything else i try to run crashes as well .. also on startup and no load.. ram usage was at around 80% which is pretty high after startup isnt it?. .i have system mechanic and killed a few unnecessary startup progs.. and it dropped to around 60% to see if that would improve.. as for buggy progs..im not sure because nothings really changed.. this just started to happen recently, with no newish programs installed.. ill get that program u suggested from that link posted..

thanks for the help!

Term X

Susan B
02-03-2004, 12:13 PM
> as for buggy progs..im not sure because nothings really changed.. this just started to happen recently, with no newish programs installed..

Might be time to check your PC for uninvited nasties. The forum's FAQ section (link top right of this page) has Computer Maintenance and Spyware FAQs that might be helpful to you. Note that the FAQs may take a while to load so be patient.