PDA

View Full Version : SET UP DUAL BOOT WHILE SAVING SPACE ????

lightfoot
01-03-2004, 09:32 AM
I?d like to do a dual boot with 98 and 2000 . I realize that it is best to install into a separate partition for the second operating system. But I read that one can save space with installation of programs by installing those programs into the same folder. At the moment I install programs into the windows 98 choice folder , which is ?Program Files? on 98 partition, which is C drive. If I installed a second windows operating system, Win 2000, on D drive for DUAL BOOT . I am unsure if I install other programs like Opera, Office, Dap or Flashget for Win 2000, do I install them into the same folder as Win 98 Program Files folder to save space . Or do I install them separately into D drive ?Program Files folder? of the Win 2000 and incur some wasted space .

Please advise . Many thanks .

Chilling_Silently
01-03-2004, 10:08 AM
You can install them over top of the Win98 apps, and they'll mostly work in Win98 (Im yet to come across an app that doesnt when used like this), even DirectX works when installed over top of Win98's.

But technically, its not the best of idea's, due to file-differences between the OS's etc.

To sum it up, Ive done it before, and would do it again, provided the Versions are the same between OS's!
So lets say Opera for example, just tell it to install to the path where it's already installed on your Win98 Partition. Should work pretty much fine :-)

Hope this helps

Chill.

mikebartnz
01-03-2004, 01:13 PM
I used to have a programs partition and used to install most programs to that when I was dual booting two Windows OS's. That way if something happens to your 98 partition you can still run the programs from 2k.

Mzee
03-03-2004, 02:29 PM
I have XP-Pro & 98se.
2 Primary partitions, #1 for 98se , and #2 for XP.
Partition #3 Programs, #4 Work files.

I have 98se in the fiirst partition because I use the Dos.

"Boot Magic" is in partition 1.
Boot Magic hides the non-active primary partitions, so in effect you only have one "C" drive.
Most of the software can be installed in the same place for both OS.
I keep the primary partitions small to enable Ghost Images to be made.

lightfoot
03-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Thank you Chilling_Silently, mikebartnz and Mzee .

Just one more thing, it seems that Mzee only needs to take an image for his C drive where Win 98 resides. What about the other partitions: Win Xp and Programs, in D and E drives. Do you also take an image for these Drives.

I like Ghost and I also use Goback. These two save me a lot of hassle and give me the daring to experiment around. Thanks.

Mzee
03-03-2004, 07:27 PM
I have the "Ghost" program installed in the Windows 98 partition, along with Disc copy, PQMagic and Boot Magic configurator and Xdos.

Ghost will copy hidden partitions so there is no problem.
Ghost will not save the Image to the partition being copied (understandable).
If you have the space you could make a partition called "Backup" and place the Images there. From time to time I put the Images on CD just incase of a total drive breakdown.
I now have a second drive in a removable caddy which has a switch key on it. I use it for backups and program files etc.