PDA

View Full Version : PC won't start

wotz
29-02-2004, 07:21 PM
A friend has a slot 1 celeron of some speed. Recently it has stopped booting. When the psu power switch is turned on the cpu fan starts running, and nothing else happens. She has removed and reseated ram, vid card and cpu.
What should she look at next?

00falcon
29-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Is it posting...

Is the speaker hooked up...

what does the beep say...

ilikelinux
29-02-2004, 07:35 PM
could be a faulty psu. If you have another psu around, try swapping it.

Also, the psu might not be able to handle the load.

wotz
29-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Speaker is hooked up, no beeps. The cpu fan shouldn't start until the start button is pressed, not when the psu has power.

beama
01-03-2004, 12:01 AM
> Is it posting...

well ?

wotz
01-03-2004, 07:57 AM
no

Merlin
01-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Either start swapping FRUs for known working replacements, or

Pay some money for a technician to test it , or

Use it as a door stop or foot rest, or

Strip out known good FRUs and dump the rest.

If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron
- Lee Trevino

Barnabas
01-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Ive had the same problem with a number of slot 1 celeron 333 machines. Everytime it has involved reseating the processor. It doesn't always work on the first time either. I usually remove the processor, get some compressed air and give it a blast to get rid of any dust, and there is usually a lot of dust, then reseat and boot up. Sometimes takes 3 or 4 attempts but usually works. Having said that all of the motherboards in the machines are the same so it may have more to do with that then the processor. Anyway worth a crack.
B.

dchip
01-03-2004, 05:34 PM
I had the same problem as Barnabas and resolved it the same way he did.

Another thing to try is the connecter on the mb to the power button on the case....is it connected??

I know it sounds silly but when your messing around with different pc's and boards and stuff it's easy to overlook the obvious sometimes, especially if the board and such are out of the case...I did once and felt like such a fool.

btw if the board is out of the case and you can't connect the m/b power switch to the case because the leads not long enough you can arc the two power pins on the m/b with a screwdriver to power up.

Note: only do the above if you are sure of what you are doing.