PDA

View Full Version : Sony Cyber-Shot Camera Problem...

00falcon
29-02-2004, 05:58 PM
I have a Cyber-Shot DSC-P51... About a year old...

And the screen stays blank... well not exactly.... you can see the menu and everything the Camera itself puts there... just no picture... it just stays black... when you go to full digital zoom you can see the noise...

So i guess the signal from the CCD is not getting thru to the "Image Computer" if thats what you call it...

So i guess my question is... has anybody else had somthing like this happen to a digital camera... and will it be expencive to fix...

PoWa
29-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Put in some new batteries?

robert6655
29-02-2004, 06:28 PM
we had something simliar happen to my dads olympus mjuII camera we rang the nz agents (for u just ring sony) and since we hadnt actually done anything bad to the camera (it just stopped working) they got us to ship it to them and they fixed it free of charge, and you yourself said it is about a year old you should be well within warranty or is sony being stingy on things like that now?

somebody
29-02-2004, 09:59 PM
One question, check whether the lens-shutter is opening up (the lens cap), as that could be a problem. Also, is the exposure set to manual - if so, could that be set too low?

If it's still under warranty, save yourself the hassle and send it back to be reparied free of charge.

Robby
01-03-2004, 10:00 AM
gidday,

It sounds like the symptoms of a battery problem, as its similar to what happened to me when trying out a different type of battery.

Only rechargable batteries nickel metal hydride seem to work in mine.

good luck,

robby

00falcon
01-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Its not the batteries... I have two sets of nickel metal hydride rechargable batteries... that have worked flawlessly for a year...
I gave a set a fresh charge... and poped them in.... no luck...

The lens shuter is open...
I have removed the card (Sony memorystick)
It had some photos... and i could access them...
I could see them on the little LCD screen... and get them to the computer....

I have pressed the reset button... still no joy...

And its out of its warrenty... its about 13 months old....

Help... as this was one of the single best purchases i think i have made..... i love having my Camera...

Falcon

dipstick01
01-03-2004, 01:43 PM
I suggest you call the Sony Service Centre on 09 3080200 and describe the problem to them.....option 3 on automated voice messages.... they should be able to give you a good indication of the problem and the fix

brig
02-03-2004, 09:35 AM
"And its out of its warranty... its about 13 months old"

I don't mean to pick on you 00falcon, but it makes me mad every time I see an example of how we have become successfully indoctrinated by commercial interests to think of the Manufacturer's Warranty as something sacrosanct.

It is not, and with a little concerted effort we ought to be able to invoke the Consumers Guarantee Act which overrides warranty constraints for redress for faulty or unfit products.

Even more serious is that retail outlet and suppliers in NZ are contravening the Fair Trading Act when they attempt to deliberately mislead customers about their rights.

Believe me.....any warranty which does not confer benefits beyond those already existing in law is a document of deception and is meaningless.

Just politely mention the CGA when asking for sevice then ask to see the manager when the shop assistant looks puzzled.

Winston001
02-03-2004, 11:09 PM
I agree with Brig. Be calm and firm.13 months for a $1000 camera is not acceptable.