PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Loses Power and then Comes Back On

Lockheed
29-02-2004, 04:47 PM
I'm using a Microsoft Optical mouse connected to a USB port, and it's losing power and then turning back on. I've had this computer and mouse for somewhere over a year, and this problem started about a month ago. The mouse loses power and then comes back on, and it seems to only happen when it's in use. Sometimes the mouse loses power entirely and then fails to come back on, and once I unplug it and plug it back in, it works again... But for who knows how long. I've tried re-installing the drivers, plugging it into a different USB port, running a virus scan and removing adware programs. The problem started around the time that I installed these programs: "AVG Antivirus: Free Edition", "PC Door Guard", and "Spy Bot: Search and Destroy". Could any of these programs be conflicting with my mouse in some way? The AVG resident guard constantly tells me that it has found a virus named "Downloader.Esepor.R", and tells me to run AVG for Windows, but it doesn't find anything when I do. That's another problem altogether. Anyway, I've also borrowed a USB mouse from a friend and tested it on my computer, but with the same results... At first, when I plugged in his mouse, it worked great for maybe a week, but then I started having the same problem as with my old mouse... It would lose power and then come back on. So it's not my old mouse, it's something with my computer. I'd like to try to keep my mouse on USB as opposed to P2P, because the P2P adapter for my mouse is too large and it can't fit into the same space where my keyboard is plugged in. Also, my modem does the same thing... It'll lose power and then come back on, but this happens far less frequently then my mouse, and because my USB port is supplied power by an adapter, I believe this to be an unrelated problem, but I could be wrong. Anyway, thanks in advance to any help I might receive. Here's my system info:

Windows XP Home Edition
P4 2.5 GHz
768 MB RAM
Manufactured by Hewlett-Packard

Fire-and-Ice
29-02-2004, 05:04 PM
> The AVG resident guard constantly tells me that it has found a virus named "Downloader.Esepor.R", and tells me to run AVG for Windows, but it doesn't find anything when I do.

AVG is telling you that a copy of the virus still remains in the System Restore points in Windows ME/Windows XP. AVG is not able to remove it from this location and you will need to disable System Restore and reboot your computer. After rebooting run AVG again then re-enable system restore.

Once that is done let us know if the mouse problem is still there. ;-)

Lockheed
01-03-2004, 06:36 AM
Hey Fire and Ice! That was an awesome suggestion. After doing what you said, I was able to remove the virus "Downloader.Esepor.R"; however, my mouse is still having the same problem of losing power and then coming back on.

somebody
01-03-2004, 09:01 AM
Does moving the mouse around help it come back on? If so, it could be a loose wire somewhere between your mouse and the computer. Look for obvious cable damage (eg. sharp bends, cuts etc.), as that could also be a problem.

If you can get your hands on another optical mouse, try it, and see if that loses power too.

Lockheed
01-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Hey Somebody, thanks for your input. I have tried using another mouse on this computer, and have had the same problem. I don't believe that it is a wire or connection problem, but I'll try another set-up just to be sure. I'll post back if it solves the problem, but until I do, it's still up in the air.

godfather
01-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Although I cant find the links now, I have seen reference to this problem caused by some updates to a computer game.

Half-Life was the game as I recall, and some editing software update was causing a corruption to the USB driver software and intermittent mouse failure. No fix had been found when I last saw the issue being discussed.

If this does not apply to you, ignore it.

Lockheed
01-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Hey Godfather. I play Unreal Tournament a lot, and that's mainly when the problem occurs. How can I find out what USB drivers I'm using? Maybe I can re-install them or something. I tried running a DirectX Diagnostic, but under "Input Drivers", nothing was listed... Am I looking in the wrong place? Any ideas on that?

godfather
01-03-2004, 11:13 PM
You will need to do a deep search using Google. There doesn't seem to be any hits now, it was a few months ago I came across it.

The software was interfering with the USB system somehow, so reloading the drivers would just give it a fresh file to corrupt as I see it. Probably the motherboard I/O drivers were being affected. It was exactly the same symptoms.

If you search this forum you will find a cybercafe that had 1/3 of all the optical mice doing a similar thing.

All I am saying is that its remotely possible that its a software problem, associated with some game software. Its not guaranteed to be that.

Short of completely uninstalling all the game software and/or reloading the system I don't know how you could prove it.

somebody
02-03-2004, 08:28 AM
Another idea - I had a microsoft optical mouse which came with a USB-PS2 Adaptor. That way I can use it as a PS2 mouse, and free up one of my USB ports. That might also solve the problems you're having.

Lockheed
02-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Godfather, that is definitely something to think about. I really appreciate your input... I should do some more searching on that topic.

Ya Somebody, I have a P2P adapter for my USB mouse, but it's so big that it won't fit into the slot provided due to an adjacent wire obstructing it. Thanks for the suggestion though... That would probably work, too. Maybe I can find a way around it.

Pheonix
02-03-2004, 09:29 AM
With the thought of PS2 in mind, how about using a PS2 extension cable to get around not being able to fit the adaptor directly?
I seem to recall Dick Smith having one of those.

Lockheed
02-03-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm using a different setup now that allows me to use my PS2 adaptor. My mouse doesn't seem to be having the problem with the power anymore, but it's kind of early to tell. I'll post back if the problem is unchanged.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it! If anybody has any more info on this, I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Lockheed
02-03-2004, 07:51 PM
OK... I spoke too soon. It seemed fine at first, but using the PS2 adapter did nothing. I'm still having the same problem. How annoying!!!! So, it didn't work with PS2, and it didn't work with USB... What does that mean?

Lockheed
02-03-2004, 07:55 PM
*I spake too soon

No edit option? Interesting.

Megaman
02-03-2004, 08:09 PM
somehow, i think it might be linked to the power supply. if this happens on another computer with the same mouse, it isnt, but if not...

Lockheed
02-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Hey Magaman. The mouse I'm using currently is being borrowed from a friend, and it works just fine on his computer, so we can rule out the mouse itself being the problem.

Lockheed
10-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Whenever I move the mouse around really fast, it loses power... This also happens even when I have it plugged into PS2. I've tried using a different mouse, but have gotten the same results.

Megaman
11-03-2004, 04:58 PM
odd... try phoning hp, and if no help, try taking it into bigbyte

Fire-and-Ice
11-03-2004, 05:31 PM
> odd... try phoning hp, and if no help, try taking it into bigbyte

Good idea but that might not be an option if the mouse works fine on his mates computer and another mouse has the same problem on his own. Could be something wrong with the mouse port.

Whiskeypete
06-01-2005, 02:47 PM
I know this doesn't help you, but I've started having the same problem.
I use a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 using the USB connection.
It's very frustrating.
Were you ever able to solve your problem?

FoxyMX
10-01-2005, 11:38 AM
What version of Windows do you have? When did you notice the problem began?

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Also try going to device manager, go thru all usb root hub entries and untick the option under power management (allow the computer to turn off this device to save power).

tedheath
10-01-2005, 01:13 PM
I am on my 4th MS optical mouse. There is a known problem with them they will go for a year at most and start locking up.
Noel Lemming know about this problem and they keep exchanging it for a new one even if it is out of warranty.
Its a known fault and has nothing to do with the drivers software.
In fact the mouse will work even if the software isnt installed on OS W 3.11 and above.
My latest mouse has IntelliPoint 5.0 software this mouse is wireless optical mouse ( they run out of wire mouses) it is due to die soon I suppose.
Main thing is keep receipt, maybe after 4 years MS might fix the circuit board problem in a futurer version.

tedheath

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Nah thats not right for every MS optical mouse. I use 2 of them here on 2 PC's. Never had a prob, with them, and had them for nearly 2 years.

Agent_24
10-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Well that completes my analysis on Microsoft hardware.

1) " There is a known problem with them they will go for a year at most and start locking up."

2) they are a rip-off. why should I Pay $60 for a 1 scroll wheel mouse, when I can get a 5 button 2 scroll wheel mouse for $35?