PDA

View Full Version : Athlon 64 3200 vs P4 3.2GHz

infinix
28-02-2004, 09:04 PM
I can get an AMD Athlon 64 3200 for a fraction cheaper than the Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz processor.

I'm trying to decide which one will give me the most power.

I have heard that the new Intel Prescott wont be compatible with current P4 motherboards, and so that the possibility of upgrading after the 3.2 is unlikely. Not that that really concerns me.

I have also heard that the AMD CPU's require a ton of fans cause they get so hot.
I'm also aware that the 64bit part of it will only really make a difference once an OS comes out to support it. I dont plan on buying a new OS, so this doesnt bother me either.

Based on that, can anyone recommend which one will be best, giving any advantages and disadvantages between the two?

Megaman
28-02-2004, 09:40 PM
if you want 64bit, you can buy a 64bit hyundai system from farmers, with xp home and beta xp 64bit edition

if you want 32 bit, and temprature is not an issue, get amd, however if noise is an issue, get pentium4. it is true that amd run faster and hotter than pentuim 4

metla
28-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Megaman,how about you post some reference for those comments?

A link or 2?

metla
28-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Anyhow,i would suggest this site,they should have a review of it.

www.anandtech.com

Its refusing to open at the mo so i can't be more specific,but they are generally more above board then the likes of Toms Hardware.

Elephant
28-02-2004, 11:50 PM
> I can get an AMD Athlon 64 3200 for a fraction
> cheaper than the Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz processor.
>
> I'm trying to decide which one will give me the most
> power.
So what Motherboard do you have at the moment? I know you can't plug the AMD CPU into a Motherboard designed for the Intel CPU.

> I have heard that the new Intel Prescott wont be
> compatible with current P4 motherboards, and so that
> the possibility of upgrading after the 3.2 is
> unlikely. Not that that really concerns me.
>
> I have also heard that the AMD CPU's require a ton of
> fans cause they get so hot.
Rubbish. I am currently running a AMD 2800+ with the supplied CPU fan and NO case fans. The CPU was fitted with the supplied fan using thermal paste. My system reports CPU at 43% Celsius. No case fans fitted. I have a fan on the Video card. Fan on the motherboard over the nForce chip as well.

> I'm also aware that the 64bit part of it will only
> really make a difference once an OS comes out to
> support it. I dont plan on buying a new OS, so this
> doesnt bother me either.
I would be inclined to think that you might just go for an AMD 3200+ and forget the Athlon 64. I say this as you don't plan on changing the O/S.

> Based on that, can anyone recommend which one will be
> best, giving any advantages and disadvantages between
> the two?

If you want to talk further about what you are doing and want to do with your system then feel free to reply.

metla
28-02-2004, 11:59 PM
The 64 bit amd cpu is a completly different design then your 2800+,the fact that yours runs coldish has no bearing on the new range of cpu's.

Havent used one myself so im not going to comment on the heat,thats why it will be nessercary to read a review from a legit site.

The 64-bit chip will need a specialy designed compatible motherboard.

The 3200 rated 64 bit chip is just that,rated at 3200.I cant say that would be a chip i would consider.The amd cpu's futher up the scale are the best on the market,but they come at a price.

infinix
29-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Thanks for everyones replies....

This topic is just helping me do research for a new computer that I intend to buy next month.
Hence, once the CPU has been decided, I will chose my motherboard.

So is there any speed performance between the:
Athlon 3200
Athlon 64 3200
P4 3.2

At the moment, I am looking at the P4.

Elephant
29-02-2004, 11:53 AM
> The 64 bit amd cpu is a completly different design
> then your 2800+,the fact that yours runs coldish has
> no bearing on the new range of cpu's.
But the original post said "AMD CPUs run hot" which appears to cover AMD CPUs in general. Try not to be so picky please.

I am quite aware that the 64 bit AMD CPU is a different design to mine.

forrest44
29-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Use linux :-)

Jen C
29-02-2004, 02:02 PM
> Use linux :-)

Huh? Did you post this on the wrong thread? - lets hope that was your excuse.

Anyway, as Metla has mentioned, you will find some really helpful reviews on Anandtech (http://anandtech.com/cpu/index.html). I found the searching and choosing of components for your new system quite fun, but you do need to read quite a few reviews so that you can get an general overall impression without a particular reviewers bias.

Chao is back
29-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Yes AMD 64 3200+ beats P4 3.2 ghz. AMD 3200+ beats P4 3.2 ghz. and AMD64 3200+ just beats AMD 3200+.

So order of ranking.
1. AMD 64 3200+
2. AMD 3200+
3. P4 3.2 ghz

I say these things based on benchmarks me and my friends have run at the computer shop where we work. Based on reviews found everywhere on the internet.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-02-2004, 05:08 PM
> I have heard that the new Intel Prescott wont be
> compatible with current P4 motherboards, and so that
> the possibility of upgrading after the 3.2 is
> unlikely. Not that that really concerns me.

The new Asus P4S800MX supports the Intel Prescott, as well as the current HT processors. Newly release, but look at the price in Price Spy. Only $99+GST I'm beginning to think theres something wrong... But yes.... blame it all on the price war if you're fussy. Personally I perfer them cheaper, don't you?

:D

metla
29-02-2004, 05:10 PM
was just trying to keep it relevent to the cpu's the thread started asked about old chap.

Elephant
01-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Yes.. Well... I did read the thread and gave my opinion for what it may be worth.

I certainly don't want to start an arguement with you.

I won't be buying an AMD 64 bit CPU anytime soon either.

Reason is that I have no intention of changing my operating system either.