PDA

View Full Version : Large drives on old computers.

Mzee
28-02-2004, 08:09 PM
I have been messing about attempting to apply an overlay to a 40gig drive to operate on an old computer which has a 2gig drive.
I installed the drive as slave after setting the BIOS slave on one to "none" as per instructions. I had no luck with the overlay, but I was amazed to find that the drive worked well in Windows NT but not shown in the Bios.
The problem is solved, I retain the 2gig primary drive for NT4 and place everything else on the 40gig drive. I had to install a patch to enable NT4 to read Fat32.

mark.p
28-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Glad you got it sorted. Linux would have installed fine as it does'nt use the bios for drive translation.

Mzee
29-02-2004, 10:02 AM
I have spent days trying to sort Linux out. Mandrake, Yoper, Top Hat, & when I manage to get sorted I find that tho there are 1000's of programs, none of them are as good as Windows.

As far as I am concerned, Linux is an excellent exercise for the brain, but to get work done you can't beat Windows XP :)
By the time you have bought the Linux, unless you have a fast connection, and spent hours on it, the Windows is probably cheaper. Quick and easy to install & works every the time.
Activation is not a problem & quite painless on line. If more than 4 months have elapsed it wil reactivate regardless. If sufficient time has not elapsed since the last activation, a quick phone call and an explanation is all that is needed.

Dolby Digital
29-02-2004, 12:06 PM
>>I find that tho there are 1000's of programs, none of them are as good as Windows.
Then you might be surprised to know that people run their businesses on GNU/Linux and open source. Not a Windows box in sight.
If you prefer Windows, use it. I use both Linux and Windows. No-one makes you use Linux. If Microsoft had their way, Windows would be the only personal computer operating system in the world.

JJJJJ
01-03-2004, 06:16 AM
"As far as I am concerned, Linux is an excellent exercise for the brain, but to get work done you can't beat Windows XP "

Just couldn't resist copying this sentence.

My brain must be too small. I have had tries at using three different versions of LInux and could not get my modem, printer or scanner to work in any of them.
Jack