PDA

View Full Version : Technical help needed

JJJJJ
28-02-2004, 07:53 AM
My motherboard is a gigabyte GA 8IPE 1000. My current bios is dated august 2003. I have downloaded the latest bios from gigabyte web page dated Dec.,2003.
I have opened the file and transferred it to floppy. When I try to install it with the gigabyte Q installer I get the message "file size incorrect" or "Bios ID check error". This looks like I have the wrong bios.
Can someone take me by the hand and lead me to the right place and the right installment procedure, before I stuff everything up.
Thanks
Jack.

robo
28-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Are you really sure you need to update it? It's the kind of thing that can make your pc unusable if something goes wrong.

You have to make absolutely sure you have the right model and there is nothing wrong with the new version (which happens).

I can't really tell you specifics on this, but be damn careful and don't do it unless you know you need to. I haven't upgraded the bios on a motherboard for about ten years.
robo.

JJJJJ
28-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Yes I do need it. To make my SATA drive work properly. At present I am having problems with "Disk read Errors" In other words POST can not always find my hard disk.
Jack

Jen C
28-02-2004, 08:51 AM
I would take the computer back and get the company to fix the machine under warranty. They should of sold you a working a machine, and if you already need to flash the BIOS in order to get the SATA drive to work, then that is a warranty issue. Let them take the risk and responsibility for a bad flash.

robo
28-02-2004, 10:01 AM
That's a good point, assuming it was recently purchased.
Are you absolutely sure the problem is the bios? Not cabling or the drive?
robo.

JJJJJ
28-02-2004, 10:46 AM
I. The machine is not under warranty. I biught it without an operating system so it was sold as "parts" , not a working computer.

2: Cabling and bios settings are all OK. Seagate's answer to the problem was "update bios".

Jack

tweak\'e
28-02-2004, 11:01 AM
check that the bios hasn't gotten corrupt on download and the app you are useing to install it is the correct one.

Graham L
28-02-2004, 03:07 PM
The error messages are saying that you have a corrupted BIOS file. It's good that the installer refused it. :D

That was caused either by a bad download or in the copy to the floppy. (There is no error checking in disk writes. )

It's a good idea to do a "full" format (on the drive it's to be used on) and a "thorough" scandisk on any floppies to be used for critical purposes.

JJJJJ
28-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Solved the problem. My m/b is revision 2 and I was trying to use updates for ver 1. Bios now flashed and all SEEMS well.
Thanks,
Jack