PDA

View Full Version : cant get into add/remove programs

Term_X
28-02-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi Folkz

Im in control panel and when i click into add/removes programs i get this msg headed "Parser Msg" with the message being "value creation failed " at line 472" everything else in control panel seems to work fine as per normal.

any ideas what the hell this means?

runnin win xp pro

drcspy
28-02-2004, 06:34 AM
what version windoze ?

Babe Ruth
28-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Term_X,

Sounds like you are using/have installed a 3rd party (non-Microsoft) visual style/theme.

You can get this error when you are running a non Microsoft visual style and the folder containing the customised styleshell.dll has a different name from the themes' name (as shown in the appearances tab).

To get rid of this error you can switch back to a Microsoft Theme or go to
/WINDOWS/Resources/Themes/<Name of theme in use> and rename the shell folder to the name of the visual style shown in the appearance tab. If you have a theme with multiple variations you must make this change for each subfolder containing a differing styleshell.dll file.

(If you don't know the exact name, go to Display Properties, and try to Display/Show the theme, the name you see in Display Properties is the name you need to change the 'Shell' folder to.)

Once you've changed the 'Shell' folder name to correspond with the visual styles name, you can reapply the theme.

Cheers, Babe.

Term_X
28-02-2004, 01:39 PM
think youre right Babe Ruth cos i have just installed a theme and thats when i couldnt get into add/remove programs.. ill follow your instructions to correct ;-)

thanks for the help

Term_X
28-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Babe Ruth, in the folder of my current visual style is a folder called "shell" do i actually rename that to what shows in control panel/display/themes?

Term_X
28-02-2004, 02:38 PM
thanks Babe Ruth!! worked sweet, problem solved :-)

Term X

drcspy
28-02-2004, 05:35 PM
hmmm......interesting ......learn a new trick every day :-)