PDA

View Full Version : XP's ICF

bk T
27-02-2004, 10:52 PM
When I enable the built-in Internet Connection Firewall, my network computers won't be able to communicate. This is a small home network of 5 PCs running Win XP Pro and ADSL router, all connected to a Switch. Everything works great if the ICFs are disabled. Is there any other way to get my network going with ICF enabled?

Cheers

stu140103
27-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Do you have a guest account on the computer, which has the ICF on?

Jester
27-02-2004, 11:50 PM
From Practically Networked (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/ic_firewall.htm)

WARNING #1: As its name implies, the Internet Connection Firewall is for use ONLY on a direct connection to the Internet, such as a dial-up, DSL, or cable modem. If your computer gets its Internet connection through a software router (like Internet Connection Sharing) or a hardware router, you don't have a direct connection and must not enable ICF.

WARNING #2: If the Internet Connection Firewall is enabled on a local area network connection with other computers, it will block File and Printer Sharing. This is probably the most common problem in Windows XP networking.

WARNING #3: ICF is only effective against undesired incoming traffic from the Internet. It can't stop undesired outgoing traffic from spyware, Trojan horse programs, or other hacker tools. If you want outgoing protection, use a firewall that offers that capability, and disable ICF on all connections.

WARNING #4: To enable or disable ICF, you must be logged on as a user that is a member of the Administrators group.

So, as you get your internet through a router (see warning 1) and it is blocking file sharing (see warning 2), and the XP ICF doesn't stop outgoing traffic (see warning 3) I would suggest that you either configure your router to block adverse traffic, or use something like Zonealarm, Sygate, Kerio or Outpost firewalls on each of the PCs.

J
:D

R2x1
28-02-2004, 02:33 AM
Jester,
Are you saying the topic heading expands to :-

eXtreme Problem's Instant ConFusion ?

or

eXPlode Into Chaos and Flames?

or

eXPloiting Internet Crash Feature?

Just puzzled,
R2

Jester
28-02-2004, 11:37 AM
eXPloiting Internet Crash Feature seems to sum it up ;)

bk T
28-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks Jester, and all other contributors.

Cheers