PDA

View Full Version : 2 MSN Messenger Issues

somebody
27-02-2004, 05:06 PM
I have 2 problems with MSN Messenger (actually one is my friend's problem, but I'm asking on their behalf).

Problem #1
My friend has MSN Messenger 5.0 running on Windows 95. It is an old computer. The problem is that MSN Messenger tends to "lose" contacts - ie. it does not display all the contacts on my friend's contact list. He had this problem a while ago, and a full system reformat solved the problem. However, the problem has come back. Any ideas? Previously he has tried uninstalling and reinstalling (MSN Messenger), he's tried deleting all his contacts and re-adding them, but nothing works. The only way he seems to have is sign in, then immediately sign out, and sign back in again, but that's a pain.

Problem #2
This is on my computers. I have 2 machines running WinXP Home, SP1, with some updates (not latest though). I run Norton Internet Security 2003 with latest updates on both, and Norton Antivirus 2003 with latest updates on both. Recently, running MSN Messenger 6.1, after I sign in and the "you have x new email message" thing pops up, and I check and read the email, the "x new email message" in the main MSN Messenger window does not go away. It used to say "No new email messages" after I read the email it was referring to. If I sign out, and sign back in, then the problem goes away. Any ideas?

Chilling_Silently
28-02-2004, 05:34 AM
Can I suggest you try aMSN as a Temporary fix.

Its a brilliant MSN Client that is Linux-based, but they've ported it to Win32.

Check it out at:
http://amsn.sf.net

Ive got a few screenies:
http://chillingsilence.no-ip.com/New_amsn1.jpg
http://chillingsilence.no-ip.com/New_amsn2.jpg

Well worth the look into it....

Chill.

somebody
28-02-2004, 08:41 AM
I've tried aMSN on linux, but didn't really like it. What confuses me is that I haven't changed anything, and yet this problem has come up (on my computer). My friend's problem, is strange, as it doesn't seem to have anything which triggers it, and so far we haven't been able to think of a fix. Because Microsoft no longer supports Win95, I don't think they'd help out.

Any ideas? Any patches or whatever which have been released recently which may help?

agent
28-02-2004, 09:00 AM
You know when Hotmail can display your contacts online or offline when you are looking at emails from them? That's part of the integration that Hotmail has with MSN.

Another part is the updating of the number of unread emails.

Try disabling NIS for a while and see if it updates then.

somebody
28-02-2004, 10:08 AM
The point is that I've never had this problem. I've been running NIS for quite a while, with no problems whatsoever, so I don't see how disabling it now (and opening my computer to security threats) will help.

Chilling_Silently
28-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Lets correct that:
aMSN 0.83 does... 0.90 is much better than the real deal IMO ;-)

Susan B
28-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Problem #1: Just a wild guess here, but would your friend have a huge contact list that his older version of MSN cannot handle? I am sure I have read somewhere that it can cause problems.

Or I could have imagined I read that somewhere..... :D