PDA

View Full Version : Networking: Can't see my own computer let alone can see the other?

sandy beach
27-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Hi people,

I'm a bit stuck at the moment.....

I have 2 computers. Both were using Windows 2000 (at the time). I have been using Windows 2000 for both machines for 8 months without a hitch. So, in saying this, I did not have a problem seeing the next computer, or even my own or even sharing files to the next PC and so on....

Yesterday, I reinstalled Windows on one of my machines. This time round I installed Windows XP Pro, while the other in my room still; has Windows 2000. (I intend to keep it that way)

After installing Windows XP, I had no problems seeing Windows 2000 and vice versa. No problem sharing files etc...

Just today, I couldn't understand why I no longer can see the computer that has Windows 2000. There is no communication problems between the two machines, as I can ping with successfull replies on both systems.

Its just at the moment now, I can only see Windows XP on the XP machine, and again; Windows XP on the Windows 2000 computer. For some odd reason, I cannot see Windows 2000 on either on the Windows XP or on its own?

Can someone explain this mystery?

One thing also, not forgetting, I noticed, that when I switch the Win2k machine on, it ends up switching the Windows XP machine in the other room. Is this any what so ever relavant to why I cannot see Win2k on both machines?

I've never seen this before, as to why I had to ask some one?

Thanks

rugila
27-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Check to see if the workgroups are the same for each machine
also
Check to see if the IP's match up for each machine.

But if you can ping OK probably it's the workgroups.

somebody
27-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Sandy Beach says that both machines can see the XP computer, so workgroups shouldn't be a problem.

As far as switching one machine on switches on the other... then WOL (Wake on LAN) has been switched on on the machine concerned. It is usually a setting which can be changed, either in the BIOS or in the network settings.

I'm not too sure regarding the WinXP/2k networking problem though, so I'll leave that to someone more qualified to try and help you.

sandy beach
27-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Hi folks,

Thanks for your help.

In actual fact, my workgroups did have the same name.... although I did try another called "HOMEBOY" to test it out.

It works, but now the situation has completely gone to the opposite computer. Now XP cannot access My Network Places with an error message such as:

"Homeboy is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

After doing some searching, the familiarities came clear....
With Windows 2000, I had to configure my NetBIOS over TCP/IP. And now I have to do something somewhat similar as to that with XP.

I've tried many attempts, restarts etc... but still the problem is baffling.

Do you have any suggestions? Oh, thanks (Somebody) about the WOL. I knew that this was a possibility,but am more concerned in keeping my network functioning at this stage...

Cheers? Can you guys give me any more suggestions or anyone else?

Thanks

Heres the links that my errors are reffering to for Win2000 and XP

Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318030&Product=winxp

Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285035&Product=win2000

tommy
27-02-2004, 08:59 PM
If the Windows XP computer is switched on before the other one it may solve your problem as that is what needs to be done with my own machines. If the computer with the older version of Windows is switched on first I have exactly the same problem.

Chilling_Silently
28-02-2004, 05:36 AM
You wouldnt be using a Different Username and/or Password than what you were a week ago would you by any chance??

Chill.

sandy beach
28-02-2004, 01:07 PM
> You wouldnt be using a Different Username and/or
> Password than what you were a week ago would you by
> any chance??
>
>
> Chill.

Thanks, but unfortunately no this wasn't the case.....
Anyhow, I finally managed to resolve the problem untill 1am this morning.

I had to do a fiddle here and there... It had to do with:

On Windows XP
--------------------

*Uncheck "Enable IEEE 8021 x authentication for this network" option
*Uncheck Authenticate as computer when computer information is available
*Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP (Static IP)

Don't ask why these changes were selected in the first place? My guess that these are the default for Windows XP....(if i'm correct)

On Windows 2000
------------------------

*Enable File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks

(I've never had to choose this option for my LAN connection) with Win2000 with no probs..(Strange but True...)

*Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

Thanks for that info Tommy, that would be the most logical step to take. Now, when Windows restarts so does XP, or when Windows 2000 starts, so does XP. I surely hope that there is a fix for this problem in the near future or next Service Pack for XP.??

Otherwise, I'm still open for any suggestions.....

Thanks everyone for your help
Cheers

Gorela
28-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Hi Sandy Beach,

The reason that the XP computer is started when you start the Win2K computer will be due to the fact that you aren't running fixed IP addresses. By using DHCP the computer looks for a server which in your case appears to be the XP computer.

I would suggest using fixed IP addresses for both machines. Something like 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11 for each of the computers. This will stop the Wake On Lan problem anyway :)

HTH

sandy beach
29-02-2004, 12:55 PM
> Hi Sandy Beach,
>
> The reason that the XP computer is started when you
> start the Win2K computer will be due to the fact that
> you aren't running fixed IP addresses. By
> using DHCP the computer looks for a server which in
> your case appears to be the XP computer.
>
> I would suggest using fixed IP addresses for both
> machines. Something like 192.168.0.10 and
> 192.168.0.11 for each of the computers. This will
> stop the Wake On Lan problem anyway :)
>
> HTH

Hi Gorela,

Can I still enforce this setting although I am using a dialup and using ICS with a fixed IP address? Can this be possible?

Graham L
29-02-2004, 01:43 PM
You can enforce fixed IP settings by not starting a DHCP clinet.I suspect that you get that situation when you chose fixed IP.:D

I very strongly suspect that a DHCP client does not issue a magic packet to WOL the server. DHCP clients just broadcast a request for DHCP. Any active server which knows the client is on an authorised host will respond. If there isn't an active server, the client will complain. It can't start a server. That would be a huge security problem. Not even MS would do that.]:)

Gorela
29-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Running ICS with fixed IP addresses shouldn't pose any problems. All you need to do is make sure that you enter the XP's IP address as the default gateway for the Win2K computer.

Most of these issues should be covered quite nicely in the FAQ section. Although I think that it is primarily aimed at Win9x there are quite a few good tips to be found.

sandy beach
02-03-2004, 05:48 PM
> Running ICS with fixed IP addresses shouldn't pose
> any problems.

Ok, sounds easy enough.........

The problem which I have found is that if I want to enable internet connection sharing (Win2k), it says that my LAN adapter will be set to use IP address 192.168.0.1.blah blah blah....

More so, even if I put a fixed IP address,and enable ICS, I cannot dial out. So the only fix is to choose the "automatically assign IP address" option. How then can this be done with an fixed IP address?

I've tried assigning one machine 192.168.0.10 and 198.162.0.11 and still no luck.

>All you need to do is make sure that
> you enter the XP's IP address as the default gateway
> for the Win2K computer.

Should the WinXP be the HOST instead to dial out to the internet? At the moment, the Win2k is the HOST and XP is the CLIENT. Win2k being the host is the only machine out of the two that has a dialup modem?

rugila
02-03-2004, 07:23 PM
>I've tried assigning one machine 192.168.0.10 and 198.162.0.11 and still no luck.

I take it you didn't really mean that, but .....