PDA

View Full Version : Who's tried WinXP SP2?

Chilling_Silently
27-02-2004, 12:26 PM
I just thought I'd start a thread on this lil topic.

Ive just downloaded WinXP SP2 build 2082 (Beta) and find it quite nice so far...

The Security Center is a major improvement!
The firewall seems a lot more in-depth, and the Popup stopper in IE is LONG overdue (So a welcome addition - Ive been using Firefox for 18 months and its done just this!).

Installation went without a hitch.

Anybody else have any experiences on the Update they want to share? Im keen to hear....

Chill.

stu140103
27-02-2004, 01:07 PM
For those people who have not heard much about this up & coming release of WinXP SP2 here is the news about it

XP SP2 to increase security (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=41638)

News: XP SP2 beta and other news... (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=42429)

IE Overhaul Part of Windows XP SP2 (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=42614)

b1naryb0y
27-02-2004, 01:29 PM
I've had mixed reactions on two seperate machines with different hardware.

System 1, installed without a hitch, apart from obvious improvements, system appears snappier.

System 2, installed without any problems, but post install reboot took close to a minute and once up and running there apears to be a general slow down on this machine. This was not evident before installing SP2.

forrest44
27-02-2004, 04:38 PM
Well now everyone probably has there systems redeayed for NGSCB after installing SP2.

Correct me if I'm wrong :-)

Forrest.

PoWa
27-02-2004, 04:54 PM
I heard that when you install SP2 on the new Athlon FX processors it enables TCPA functions on them

R2x1
28-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Never mind SP1 or 2; How long before XP gets fixed enough to go to Beta?

stu140103
28-02-2004, 02:56 PM
> Never mind SP1 or 2; How long before XP gets fixed
> enough to go to Beta?

?:| ?:|

Win XP is all ready released & is on the market, the SP are just fixes / updates for it, in other words, win xp has passed BETA a long time ago.

MrBeef
28-02-2004, 03:05 PM
He was taking the mickey out of XP stu, if you didnt already know

Marlboro
01-03-2004, 09:54 AM
I installed the Service Pack over the weekend, and there are very few problems. The only major issue is that *.zip files will no longer decompress using the "Built In" XP software.

Seems to boot faster than before, but I havn't timed anything...

Mzee
03-03-2004, 02:43 PM
I have sp1 with my XP
My son has used XP for a couple of years now and it has never been updated in any way. He has never had any problems, except a dicky hard drive, in all this time.
I gave it (HP Pavillion) a once over recently, & apart from transfering everything from the old drive, and running Anti-spy and Norton Utes & cleaning out all the dust, there was nothing wrong with it.

I wonder if these updates are to our advantage, or to Microsofts advantage? XP is definately faster with out SP1. The only reason I installed SP1 was because a D-Link USB modem I was using needed it.

JJJJJ
03-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Ok I'll bite. Where did you download it from??????
Jack

Megaman
03-03-2004, 05:11 PM
im not getting teh beat version, unless it has something i need

and im not getting it until we get broadband. waiting 3-4 months to get sp1 never hurt me

nadius
04-03-2004, 02:52 PM
yeah, i downolad SP2 last night.

installed fine. the improvements in IE are good (though i use Firebird so it doesn't matter to me). stablity seems fine so far.

but i can't start the windows firewall (it says there's "an unidentified problem") i see SP2 has still maintained it sense of humour. ;)

as far as windows update, there's a change i don't like. in SP1 i used to have the automatic updates service disabled. but with SP2 you cannot use Windows Update with this service disabled. it needs to be in manual or automatic (although it starts at boot on manual anyway, so you might as well leave it in auto).

the windows update site has been updated too. it looks alright.

when i installed SP2 i had the ICS service disabled, so maybe that is causing my problem (tho i doubt it as other disabled services started with the update). so i'm gonna reinstall SP2 and see if it makes any difference.

Chilling_Silently
04-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Jack>
You have to be on the Microsoft Beta Team B-)

JJJJJ
04-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Oh!
Jack :_|

agent
04-03-2004, 06:01 PM
I had an email address you could send your details to a few years ago, apparently from that you could be selected for beta testing for Microsoft.

Can't find it now though...

Mike
04-03-2004, 08:12 PM
> I had an email address you could send your details to
> a few years ago, apparently from that you could be
> selected for beta testing for Microsoft.
>
> Can't find it now though...

It doesn't work anymore. You now have to log into the Microsoft Beta website with your Passport and register in there.

Mike.

Spacemannz
09-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Did anyone's XP when they updated to Sp2 beta change the boot.ini
to Windows Media Centre Edition!

Coz it changed mine to that. Dont know if that's normal or not.

It was OK, but I couldnt get the networked PC to get onto the net.

I thought it was the firewall, but i disabled XP's, since I use a separate
one, and the AV feature.

I think this is what Nadius said in the post here. It was disabled.

BUT i didnt look to see if it was disabled.

So, I uninstalled it.

Marlboro
09-03-2004, 10:21 AM
I had no such changes to the boot.ini, and no problems with the networking since the upgrade (Zone Alarm + NAV). The only problem I've had is with *.ZIP files not working.

I downloaded SP2, without any kind of registration with Microsoft, i.e. I'm not on any special list. I did a google search, and downloaded the setup file (<1mb), and then it downloaded the Service Pack (100mb+).

A side issue is Iím really getting pissed off with Woosh, the 100mb+ file took over 6 hours, which doe not equate to their stated 250kbs speed (unless I'm doing my sums wrong???)

Budda
09-03-2004, 11:22 AM
well ive got two computers on xp and have never done a service pack or upgrade and have never had any problems, o well just my 2c

R2x1
09-03-2004, 11:32 AM
> A side issue is Iím really getting pissed off with
> Woosh, the 100mb+ file took over 6 hours, which doe
> not equate to their stated 250kbs speed (unless I'm
> doing my sums wrong???)
>

Unfortunately, this is common for M$ download sites when
something new arrives. With the microsoft default
download method, a lot of coffee can be consumed
regardless of your connection speed, and when there's
something fresh on offer - super slow is standard. A fast
connection just lets you wait faster.

Chilling_Silently
09-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Budda>
You live dangerously, hope your luck lasts!

On a worse note, I install XP Sp2 on a Laptop today running WinXP Home (Not patched at all).

It prompted me for the WinXP SP2 Install CD afterwards (Which in hinds-sight Im assuming it wanted the origional WinXP Home CD), and I didnt have a "SP2 CD" so I cancelled the restore of "good files".

It wouldnt boot afterwards, so lesson learned:
Always give it the CD if it asks.....

Chill.
*Im currently re-installing Windows over top of itself.... :-(

Spacemannz
09-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Hmmm ok wonder if it was coz this thing has a tv tuner in it. Dunno.

Oh well, at least it still works.

Chilling_Silently
09-03-2004, 05:10 PM
I just checked the boot.ini file on the two here at the CyberCafe that I've upgraded to SP2, and they both say that also. These two Desktops had no issues at all and installed perfectly!

However.....

They're not Windows XP Media Center Edition. One is WinXP Home, one is WinXP Pro.

Odd....

Chill.

nadius
09-03-2004, 06:22 PM
yeah Spacemannz it changed my boot.ini to media edition too. odd huh?

i could still get on the net fine, but XP's firewall didn't work for me.

Chilling_Silently
09-03-2004, 06:34 PM
I just ran an Anti-virus check on the Laptop I installed it on.. Came up with several, so Im assuming that's why it didnt go 100% ;-)

Chill.

PoWa
09-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Chill how come your installing the beta SP2 on the cyber-cafe pcs? Are they just junk ones?

Chilling_Silently
09-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Nah, it was a clients actually who wanted to try it :p

We've got it on two.. They work marginally faster since it also :-)

Chill.