PDA

View Full Version : I'm stumped! Any suggestions?

B.M.
27-02-2004, 11:15 AM
My faithful old computer that never causes a problem has finally thrown a right hissy fit.

The problem is basic, it refuses to open XL. All other programmes appear fine.

The message is “Excel caused a general protection fault in module user.exe at 0003:00003d32” then a page of stack dumps etc are reported.

So far I have:

Run scandisk standard and thorough: All ok no errors or bad sectors.

Run Windoctor from SystemWorks: All ok.

Updated NAV and run complete scan: All ok nothing found.

Uninstalled & Reinstalled Office 2000 using uninstall and install from CD. No better.

Did over the top reinstall of Win98se. Still the same. Grrrrrrrrr!

Ram tested OK but just to be sure (as there are two 128meg sticks) I ran them one at a time and swapped slots. Nope, still TOK and still can’t open XL.

Frankly, I’ve run out of ideas. Anyone any suggestions?

Susan B
27-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Hi Bob,

It sounds like you have a corrupted excel.xlb file which is Excel's version of Word's normal.dot.

Do a search for excel.xlb, rename it and try opening Excel then. The path may possibly be C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\Excel.xlb.

A little tip for next time: put something like "Excel problem" in the subject header to grab the attention of the Excel gurus who might otherwise pass over a header like your one. :-)

B.M.
27-02-2004, 11:58 AM
You beaut Susan! :D :D :D

All fixed, but why didn’t the uninstall and reinstall solve the problem? Dahhhhh! :(

Nothing wrong with the title Susan when I got the one tip that counted. :D

Frankly I didn’t have a clue whether it was hardware or software or windows or XL or, well, I just didn’t have a clue. :8}

somebody
27-02-2004, 01:40 PM
When you uninstalled, it may have left the default document template intact, as it probably appeared to be a "customised" one, even though it was really corrupted. This is so when people create custom default templates, and reinstall the software, they do not lose their settings.

godfather
27-02-2004, 01:51 PM
someone is correct, any data that is "created" by Excel will not be replaced by a reinstall.

The template is not a file that is installed, it is "created" by Excel the first time Excel is run. Microsoft Word and its "normal.dot" file is the same.

It would be a sorry state if this was not the case, as that would mean all data files would be deleted if a package was reinstalled.

Graham L
27-02-2004, 02:47 PM
That being the case, GF, at what version was that delightful advanced feature removed from Excel?

;-)

B.M.
27-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh, Soooooooo, uninstalling and reinstalling does not necessarily repair corrupted files. Must keep that in mind. For what it’s worth, I omitted to say that I run Detect & Repair from the Office disk and it never found the corrupt Excel.xlb file either.

Sort of begs the question of what is the correct procedure to locate a corrupted file in an application that causing problems? I mean there is a hell of a lot of them and in this case Susan managed to identify the correct one first pop. (Well done again Susan) :D

XL refused to open no matter what, it wasn’t as though it would open and not do something once it was open. It actually crashed the whole computer and one had to resort to the reset button. Very untidy, not even Ctrl – Alt – Del worked. :(

Anyway, were purring away now and its just a matter of putting things back how they were prior to the reinstalls. :(