PDA

View Full Version : attachment - erratic opening

effie C
27-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi,
several months ago I had cause to ask why I could only open my "thatgame" chess attachments- completely unpredictably- when it is sulking I have to save to"my Docs" and then open and send from there.
Just now I was able to open and send quite normally- then it failed yet again ( I have 20 or thirty games going at once)-all yesterday had no success!!!
On the advice of somebody, I re installed XP ( God help me- 2 days work to re install other programs again) but ever since I had no trouble--- until 3 days ago- after the first two occaisions- I re downloaded that game and it worked- next day -nill- I have sent an e mail to the website- no reply yet.
Now it has been suggested my hardware is getting worn out and I need to upgrade with a new motherboard and CPU, plus graphic card, etc- $400- am I being conned - or is this a legitimate advice?
I use up to 80 hours per month and play cards and do other internal work as well - so the 'puta certainly does a lot of work
What think you - especially Godfather?
effie c

Susan B
27-02-2004, 09:32 AM
> Now it has been suggested my hardware is getting worn out and I need to upgrade

Oh Eddie, that sounds like a complete crock to me! :O

I doubt that your chess game would be making your computer work even half as hard as a moderate gamer and their computers last for years. It is only the chess game that you are having problems with, isn't it? If your computer was getting "worn out" you would be having problems with other programs as well, not just the chess game.

There is something wrong either with your setup - software wise that is - or the chess game's setup which is causing a conflict somewhere. The tricky bit is working out where. :D

Have you been keeping Windows up to date with the security patches? Have/did you install any patches just prior to your problems occuring?

An idea: why don't you download and try Eudora instead of using Outlook Express and see if that is better? Eudora very conveniently stores email attachments in a separate folder which you may find really useful.

Eudora is free in return for displaying some small adverts which are not obtrusive. If I remember correctly Godfather tried that chess game using Eudora and he had no problems with it. Mind you, I don't think he tested it with 80 hours' worth of games. :p

effie C
27-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi Susan B ,
Delighted to hear from you - I felt emabaressed enough,to ask the same questions that Godfather helped with , but this statement that "I have to update my hardware", at even $400 of hardware/case/Cpu/etc -is to my mind a crock, as you say. I have been in business far too many years no to sense a scam-hence my swallow pride and get another opinion.

I did re install my W XP after Godfather showed he was having no trouble,and ever since I too have had no trouble-so I assumed that was what was needed,---then out of the blue- and with no updates recently installed- this starts again.
The only update that is on sometimes twice a day is Nortons and even just now after yet another update from Nortons,- this damn program is back working again.

I can't see Outlook Express/Internet Explorer, being the dark person in the woodpile, because of over two months of trouble free useage previous.

I know that my XP is working my reserves hard ( 14.3 Gb h/d 500Mhz CPU and 192 mg Ram) but as I say it has worked- perfectly.

I still have not had a reply from "thatgame"website- as none of the FAQ had this problem listed.

The youngster who taught me to use a 'puta - now employed by the firm who is sending him to me after hours tonight, to decide what hardware I MUST have, has no answer- even though he is so good that his firm has just promoted him and transfered him to another city, but I either, take their analyses as gospel or obtain some reassurance from F1.- and then tell them to go to Hell.

That being said I do know that what I use here is getting old and as I am no longer as well off as I was before I retired- so if I can ignore their "help" I ruddy well will.

I have absolutely no trouble opening any other attachments, I did wonder if my grahics card was suspect ( on start up I get a flashing hyphen in the top left corner and that has to be rebooted( I am told that the graphics card may need replacing - so I rang this firm and was told if it was the graphics card, none of my icoming JPG files would open - and they do--- It is just the chess attachment.

And remember, too, if I have a faulty setting in the game- and after three re downloads to try and correct things, and still not working,why do things as at this very moment , work as they should- only to go off again , in say the third game of a batch of five to the same apponent.

If I save it to "my documents" and then move and send, from there - there is no trouble-
then blow me down at this moment again,suddenly it is working quite normally- and I am back to square one.

All and everthing gratefully accepted Susan

Eddie

godfather
27-02-2004, 12:42 PM
My view is that its an incompatability between OE and the game. The game software is fairly old now.

When the game files are received, its just that OE refuses to let "thatgame chess" open the file as I remember. It just sulks it appears.

This is likely to be a deep seated software issue, and why its intermittent I have no idea, and its one of those issues that probably will have no simple resolution.

I would have given up on OE at the very beginning effie C, and tried another email client program, its not as if it would cost any money or alter anything major. I simply can't understand why you would let a conflict with something like OE ruin your enjoyment if a change to another email client might fix it.

I still think its an obscure MAPI issue, and the fault could lie anywhere.

You could set any new email software to take a copy only of the mail off the server, so OE would function as normal for all mail when you wanted to use it. Just don't run it for chess.

The hardware update and "worn out computer" is a joke, surely?

stu140103
27-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Hello effie C :)

How are you?

If you are thinking of ditching OE, I would suggest you try Mozilla Thunderbird, it is a nice open source e-mail client :)

Susan B
28-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Eddie, have you noticed any pattern with the problem occuring soon after Norton's gets updated? It could be related or it might not be. Probably more likely to be what Godfather says about "incompatability between OE and the game".

I do think you should try Eudora though. It does look a bit funny when you first try it but don't let that put you off. I like it so much that I have paid for my version though that is not essential.

> That being said I do know that what I use here is getting old

Rubbish. Your computer still has quite reasonable specs and a lot of life left in it yet. My Win 98 computer is a P2 266 with only 160MB RAM and 6 GB hard drive and is still going strong. I have no plans for retiring that one for a while yet.

> The hardware update and "worn out computer" is a joke, surely?

Certainly would be for the shop that managed to convince Eddie to upgrade. They would be laughing all the way to the bank. :-(

effie C
28-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Hi Susan B,
I thought my post would disappear from a lack of further interest, untill smithie 38 rang to say you had replied- and for which I thank you.

At the risk of repeating the obvious I have no success all day with the opening except first thing this morning - when a normal attach., did open -then it reverted in the middle of a group of 5 games to the same person.--- it is ONLY the chess that is in trouble---all other attachments open quickly and normally.
I, as I type have just seen the Nortons pop up stating my security has been updated-- all this after my troubles today, so I don't think that is the trouble ( yesterday I had had a good run - whether the Nortons came trhrough during the day yesterday I can't remember
---and then there is smithie 38 and nearly all my opponents are using O E- with none of this nonsense.

I tried to download another sever but four times it froze at 1/2 way, so I gave up. I will try Eudora , if nothing else but to prove OE is not the trouble.

Big joke, the youngster- my tutor- on the way to work at the shop hoping to sell me the upgrades- now tells me I have to have a new tower and power pack - $95,as well, plus I was going to swap his work on the puta for my sevicing his car, this with the permission of his employers- so the end cost including compensating him in the exchange,was going over the $500-

---whereas a late model Plll with 17" screen and CD writer is only $995. Thanks to your reference about age, at the moment I am going to carry on with this aging "heap"- it suits me, I use it a lot- and if I win Lotto tonight I will buy brand new-Ha !!!

So long as I don't get in your hair- I will let you know the results
Eddie

Elephant
28-02-2004, 11:13 PM
> At the risk of repeating the obvious I have no
> success all day with the opening except first thing
> this morning - when a normal attach., did open -then
> it reverted in the middle of a group of 5 games to
> the same person.--- it is ONLY the chess that is in
> trouble---all other attachments open quickly and
> normally.
> I, as I type have just seen the Nortons pop up
> stating my security has been updated-- all this
> after my troubles today, so I don't think that is
> s the trouble ( yesterday I had had a good run -
> whether the Nortons came trhrough during the day
> yesterday I can't remember
> ---and then there is smithie 38 and nearly all my
> opponents are using O E- with none of this nonsense.
Just my thought on this one and I may well be wrong.
If you are using Norton Antivirus then you will be using a proxy server for your Email.

I have used Norton Antivirus in the past but had the odd problem. I finished up unistalling Norton AV and now use AVG. I use Outlook rather than Outlook Express for Email. I haven't tried the chess you are using and therefore can't test on my system.

Don't just uninstall Norton and leave youself without virus protection.

Don't just go and buy another system unit unless you want one!!!!

Megaman
29-02-2004, 08:35 AM
its most likely b******* your hardware is dying, and it wont die for a while

put it this way, my amd166, 32mb ram computer is going strong

effie C
29-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi Elephant,
No I certaibly won't uninstall Nortons and do without- --as to AVG - I had cause to have to re download AVG for a friend when it stated it had expired. I installed it but I understand in a test AVG let through 2 out of 4 test virus that were used in the experiment.- so I am not too confident in the security of AVG.
This a m _ tried as usual to open the chess attachment and it will not- as usual- I am sure that the trouble is in the "mygame-chess" download- as none of my opponents are having this trouble- and yet use O E.
I am going to downlaod- if I can- Mozilla Thunderbird and/or Eudora- as recommended by Susan B and before that by another contact( and that Mozilla freezes 1/2 way through the download- 4 times
Will let you know if tere is an improvement or not
effie c

Susan B
29-02-2004, 11:16 AM
> So long as I don't get in your hair- I will let you know the results

No worries about getting in my hair Eddie, I would like to know the outcome and am keeping my fingers crossed that it is a positive one for you. :-)

It really is a mystery why you are having problems when your mates aren't but with computers there are so many variables with individual software and hardware configurations that it is difficult to compare your system with theirs.

If it were me I would be taking the bull by the horns and backing up my data, reformating the hard drive and reinstalling Windows and all my programs to start again with a nice clean system but that is quite a big job and not one you might wish to take.

Anyway, though I cannot offer any more advice it would be good to know how you get on with Eudora should you try that.

Good luck. :-)

Susan B
29-02-2004, 11:20 AM
By the way, I use AVG and am very happy with it. It picks up viruses coming in through emails and has spotted a few in programs/.exe files so it is doing its job. I have also done online scans with other anti-virus companies which have not detected any slipping through so I have complete confidence in AVG. :-)

Elephant
29-02-2004, 01:32 PM
OK... Fair enough... Just my thoughts it were. Just me aware that Norton will become a proxy server for the Email.

As I said, "I can be wrong and I haven't tried the chess program.."

I'm off to download the "mygame-chees" and try it.

I love chess. When I get spare time I play.

Hope you get your problem fixed.

effie C
29-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Hi Elephant -
Thanks to all who have tried

that comment and tied in with Susan B 's will have me go back through Nortons- and reassess the settings - I would be a fool to have the obvious staring at me.

Yes, this chess is a lot of fun - retired I may be, but to keep my brain active required me to learn how to drive a computer, and play chess- I have had 36 games going at once-I used to be very much better than I am at the moment but I don't mind losing as long as I play well
There is a cartoon like game also "postcard chess"- but that has to be done while online whereas this version does not

If you want to I would be happy to play against you _ I have never met Antmannz but for nearly 2 years I have enjoyed the challenge with him ( and he is good)- and I got him from F1 in a similar fashion as above

chibnall@xtra.co.nz- if you care to - and pull out at any time- just let me know if you do - the internet /email often quadriplicate the moves, --- or loses them for a week or so, whereopon they appear out of the blue
Eddie
aka effie c ( if one uses the letters in syllables- one can see what effie c might mean)