PDA

View Full Version : IE 6/outlook

galeforce
27-02-2004, 07:10 AM
Having just installed microsoft office 97 the outlook application part of this software does not function due to missing scrptstn.dll and PSTPRX.DLL and how you recover these I have no idea though I beleive many others have had this problem. However although I do not wish to use outlook this is not a problem even though it would be nice to know everything would work. The question I have is how to avoid having outlook attempt to read mail when clicking on the read mail function from IE 6 instead of outlook express which was there. There does not seem a way of changing this in the tools/internet options/programs, E-Mail:. Microsoft Outlook seems to have appeared there even though when installing office no configuration was requested.
Hoping this sounds feasible and someone could help get outlook express back to where it was in IE.

robo
27-02-2004, 07:27 AM
I am not completely sure what you are asking but you can set a program to be the default mail client.
In Outlook (not Express) Click on the Tools menu, options, click the Other tab, it's the second option down (on my version).
I would add a warning that the version of outlook that comes with Office 97 is pretty old and I am not sure it would be a very good choice. I would try something newer.
robo.

galeforce
27-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi robo, Would do but as I said Outlook does not work.Just can't seem to get Outlook Express imbedded into IE email client.
Outlook Express still works fine but won't work from the read mail function.

sam m
27-02-2004, 04:52 PM
isnt there a "set as default" option with Outlook Express? I would guess under Tools | Options.

galeforce
27-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Yes. But this removes Microsoft Outlook from the E Mail box but doesn't replace with anything let alone Outlook Express which must have been there before installing office 97. And you don't appear to be able to type into that drop down area either. So still lost on this one.

J ZEP
27-02-2004, 08:52 PM
I remember somebody - terry or graham i think it was having a link to this problem and a small download that gave you outlook express back in the dropdown menu in i.e when it wasn't available, i will have a quick search and see what i can find, but hopefully one of them will remember the link etc...

tommy
27-02-2004, 08:56 PM
If you do not wish to use Outlook you can remove it from Office by running the Office setup from within Add/Remove Programs.

J ZEP
27-02-2004, 09:18 PM
o.k i found the thread which had the answer in and it was Jim who had the fix actually ;-), however first of all we need to know what o.s you are using as this fix refers to xp and win 98 possibly?

The thread which refers to it is here
Here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=38823&message
=193499&q=setting+outlook+express+as+default+in+I.E#193499 )

But this fix is for xp doesn't say if the person used it and it worked on their o.s? but Jim gives another thing to try in the above thread....

J ZEP
27-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Heres another couple of articles that refer to this prob from M.S Kbase -
You will be able to find the one which refers to your o.s and o.e/ie versions hopefully.....

Here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306098)

And Here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;176571)

Hope that is of some help to you.

galeforce
28-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks J ZEP.
Will wade my way through all this info from your links and give it a go - or one of them - within the next couple of days.

galeforce
11-03-2004, 08:53 PM
The answer to the problem is;
Go to Start/Run and type
"C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /reg

This gets Outlook Express back into the drop down menu in Internet Options/programs avoiding Outlook being the only mail handler in IE.