PDA

View Full Version : Setting up small network w/ printer

Mark Veldhuizen
27-02-2004, 04:14 AM
Tonight I have to pass by a friend's friend's company to install a small network. He wants me to go because next to him I am the Bill Gates of computers. I don't know much about networks so just want to make sure I know what I'm doing. Anyway, the guy has two machines; xp home & win2k pro. He has a printer installed on xp home and told me he wanted it so both computers could print to the printer. His xp home also had an intergrated network card so I told him to buy another network card (for the 2kpro) and 15 meter crossover cable (because the comps are about 10m far apart). He will have this by tonight, when I have to go over and put it together. So...

Is all I have to do install the network card, connect the crossover cable, go to the xphome and choose NETWORK CONNECTIONS then go to properties and install FILE AND PRINTER SHARING? Then go find the printer under CONFIGURATION>PRINTERS, right click it and hit SHARING and give it a name? Will this work perfectly after this? The printer is a USB laser printer, if that's any help. Do I need to do anything more than this?

Also, when crossover-ing the two, instead of chosing 'automatic' for the IP and DNS, is it better to type them out? Only I don't remember the IPs to enter in. One ends in a 1, another in 2, I think. Any help here appreciated.

Thanks

godfather
27-02-2004, 06:08 AM
Before you fiddle too much, just set the network up with defaults and file and printer sharing.
My experience is that XP shares the printers just fine (providing drivers are loaded, on each machine first) without any user input.

In fact it shares printers here that I do not need to be shared! Once installed they just appear on the other PCs. All XP here (4 PCs)

Networking on XP is almost automatic. Just follow the wizard and it should work.

Graham L
27-02-2004, 10:35 AM
"... almost automatic. Just follow the wizard and it should work." :O

Tempting fate there, GF. :D