PDA

View Full Version : Word question : Macron?

beetle
26-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Hi

In some new work i have to do i need to be able to have a Macron (is that the word?) above a letter, i have had a search but dont know how or where to do this or what keys need to push to get it to work.
Can any one help me with this.
My understanding of a Macron is a line above a letter, this is what i want.
?:|

help anyone?

Word,

beetle

sam m
26-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Go to | Insert | Symbol...

You should find what you are after there. If it will be regular insertion then take note of the shortcut keys to save time.

beetle
26-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Word 97,

what symbol is used for this ? straight line thingy or a sqiggle? trial andd error at mo.
not sure which one to use,

thanxs Sam m, forgot that part.

beetle

sam m
26-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Are you talking about the 'straight line' or the 'wiggly line' that you see above a letter to show that it is pronounced differently?

If so, let me know which ones you are after and I will hunt out the shortcuts. I am using Word (Office) XP, not sure if they are the same.

beetle
26-02-2004, 10:09 PM
this is for Maori to show that the letter sound is said longer, and i have seen various versions of it, straight line, sqiggle and two dots.

but most common is straight line.

Word 97 and using XP

beetle

sam m
26-02-2004, 10:13 PM
Try this (not sure on word97)

type : 0101 (then press alt+x)

beetle
26-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Having problems, with word 97 it does not seem to work.

any other ways...?

beetle

Scouse
26-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Beetle. Have a look through Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. You'll find hundreds of odd characters for various languages. If the one you want is not on the first page, just change the Font at the top as the characters vary from font to font.
If you're going to use it often, either write down the code or put a shortcut to Character Map on your desktop.

Scouse
26-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Sorry, meant to give you an example. In Word, hold down your Alt key, type 0226 on the keypad at the right, release the Alt key. One I use regularly.

sam m
26-02-2004, 10:37 PM
What happens when you click on Insert, then Symbols?

Does this not show the specific symbols you are wanting?

I found this (http://www2.corvallis.k12.or.us/staff_development/tech_handouts/Word97_spec_char.htm)that may help. Doesnt seem to work with my version but it might work with yours.

good luck

beetle
26-02-2004, 10:48 PM
OK Woohoo got it to work, finally didnt realise you could change fonts like that either. and i have saved lower case Vowels that i will use in future, now just not to lose the list of instructions.....:p

thank you Sam m, Scouse and Susan B, for all your help tonight, Blind leading the blind for a while....... there is none so blind as those that cannot see..... and i definetly couldnt see what you were saying for ages.....

much appreciate all the help people give me, as i certainly make people think and fiddle around to get the correct answers, and man i feel i must frustrate the hell out of some people..... :p

much appreciate the help guys. hope i can return the favour some day.

beetle

beetle
26-02-2004, 10:50 PM
i was getting lost on the fonts bit, didnt know i could change this to then get a new set of symbols.

sorry sam.

i have bookmarked that link thanks.

beetle

John H
27-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi beetle

I use a macron all the time. Microsoft has come out with a special keyboard driver for New Zealand because of the need to have a macron for long vowels in Te Reo M‚ori (I wonder if this will show up when it is posted??!!) (just checked the Preview and this website does not support the macron - it substitutes one of those tent shaped things, but you will get the idea. It works in all Word docs etc, and it prints fine on my HP Printer).

You simply download the driver from the Microsoft website and install it.
To find the driver, go to http://www.microsoft.com and hit the Downloads link. Then search for New Zealand M‚ori Keyboard Definition. That should take you to it. Get back to me if that doesn't work.

Then when you want a macron over a long vowel, you simply hit the ~ tilde key and then the vowel. People whinge about having to do it, but it is just like using the Shift key to capitalise.

If I am writing a long doc, I will occasionally type the lot without macrons, and then do a spell check - my spell checker picks up the words that should have a macron and changes the lot if I tell it too - e.g the word wh‚nau only appears that way in my spell checker. If it finds whanau without the macron, it shows up as a spelling error and you just hit "Change all" and Bob is your aunty.

John H
27-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Regarding an earlier post of yours beetle, the macron is a straight line. Some people did try using alternatives such as the squiggle or two dots you mention because there are no macrons in the standard Microsoft products, but I know this is regarded as unsatisfactory by some M‚ori and even offensive by a few others.

It is best to use the macron now that it is possible (for everyone using Microsoft software anyway).

Some people prepared specific fonts, and that was ok whilst they were on their own computer, but that system causes havoc when docs are sent to other people who do not have those fonts installed. A good example is Book Antiqua M‚ori and Times New Roman M‚ori that are readily obtainable. My late model printer throws a hissy fit if I try to print anything that includes those fonts.

Here is the full url for the download:
Maori keyboard driver (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=27ab0ec0-c2b3-409e-bdf1-d56cd5e90d9c&DisplayLang=en)

Scouse
27-02-2004, 03:41 PM
Hi John H - Brilliant. Many thanks. Downloaded well.

John H
27-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Great. The driver is sometimes a trifle flaky - e.g. it will work in Word but not in Outlook for reasons only known to the flakes at Microsoft. A restart usually gets its knickers untwisted.

John

beetle
27-02-2004, 07:36 PM
Hi
John H . thank you,
ok have had a look into it and will download at some stage, when not busy doing millons of other daft things i guess.
have saved the link, too much on the plate at mo, and too much work, so have to wait. also not good when tired to think about these things.

much appreciate all help, didnt know you could do this,

beetle