PDA

View Full Version : It' not my day! Can ping router but no net access!

Billy T
26-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Hi Team

Just loaded W2K SP4 onto one of my computers and now it can't access the net.

It is part of a 6 computer network that shares a Jetstream connection via a D-Link switch and a Nokia Ni500 router. I can ping the router from the affected box, and I can also exchange pings to and from other computers on the network but it simply won't or can't talk to the outside world.

All of the TCP\IP settings are correct, as might be deduced from its network connectivity but something is stopping it getting out through the router. The latter is "stock from the box" so there are no programmed parameters to look at. Just in case I killed ZA but that was a forlorn hope and made no difference.

The MB has a dead SiS 900 on-board ethernet connection however that happened years ago and I deleted it from device manager. It was back when I rebooted after installing SP4 so I deleted it again. I put in a Realtek card to take over and that is obviously working too since I can talk to the other computers. I just looked up some files on the affected box from my office so network communication is definitely OK.

What am I missing here?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) ?:|

Chilling_Silently
26-02-2004, 05:51 PM
What are your DNS Settings like? Can you ping 210.48.100.45??

PoWa
26-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Can any of the other computers on the network access the net through the router?

Billy T
26-02-2004, 06:22 PM
All other computers can access the net. All DNS settings are correct.

What/who is 210.48.100.45?

Since posting this query I have gained some limited Net access. I pinged far and wide on IP addresses without success then tried pcworld.co.nz. That replied so I tried a few more domain names and they all worked. Following that Xtra & Google reappeared but I still can't ping Xtra on its IP address.

What gives? Should I sacrifice the neighbour's cat? Where do I send the plain brown envelope full of used notes? Do priests make house calls?

I'm confused.

Cheers

Billy <#-{(

PoWa
26-02-2004, 06:50 PM
My router went down for 1/2hr just before. I'm suspecting the damn martians sent me an EMP and knocked out the router.

Try turning the router off and on a few times. That would rule out the router being the problem.

Chilling_Silently
26-02-2004, 07:07 PM
> What/who is 210.48.100.45?
Why its PressF1 of course!

> Since posting this query I have gained some limited
> Net access. I pinged far and wide on IP addresses
> without success then tried pcworld.co.nz. That
> replied so I tried a few more domain names and they
> all worked. Following that Xtra & Google reappeared
> but I still can't ping Xtra on its IP address.
Tried changing your DNS Server?

> What gives? Should I sacrifice the neighbour's cat?
> Where do I send the plain brown envelope full of
> used notes? Do priests make house calls?
The answer is simple... Mail $1K to me by Midnight and I'll say a prayer to cure your woes :p

Try using a Non-MS product that wont look to the MS Internet Settings.. Such as Firefox, or ICQ.

Hope this helps

Chill.

Billy T
26-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Well, now that I have some Net access I have finished off the updates and now find that I have reasonable Net access back on that box.

Xtra still won't ping, but I seem to remember a post here some time back that mentioned their servers were not accepting pings any more. Some other IP addresses won't either but but I have almost normal service again so I should be grateful for small mercies. I think the rest will come right after the router has been off long enough for Xtra to allocate it a fresh IP address. That has worked in the past when my connection went down for all boxes at once.

It will all remain one of life's mysteries I guess. ?:|

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

MrBeef
26-02-2004, 08:07 PM
not even I can ping xtra

by going ping xtra.co.nz (202.27.184.102)

mejobloggs
26-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Dunno if it is exactly the same as my problem.

My net would stop everynow and again, so i could not connect to anything. I never tried pinging though.

I just open up Outlook, and let it check its emails, or else sign into msn messenger, or stop and start the connection thing it network settings.

Any of those would make it go again. Maybe it will help, but maybe not.

stu140103
26-02-2004, 10:58 PM
> I'm suspecting the damn martians sent me an EMP and
> knocked out the router.

what is EMP ?:|

tbacon_nz
26-02-2004, 11:05 PM
EMP=electro-magnetic pulse - what you get as a side-effect of an atomic bomb explosion.

Chilling_Silently
27-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Have you NEVER seen the Matrix Stu?

Man you're missing out.....!

Chill.