PDA

View Full Version : Firefox use...

J ZEP
26-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi all, I was just wondering how everybody is finding Firefox? And if many of you are experiencing any minor bugs etc... which is of course to be expected.

I have come across a couple so far and after searching the Firefox help forums etc... found most had been reported.

So i was just wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of any builds they are using that address these probs, without causing any more... As i usually don't bother with the nightly/new builds and wait till there is a new release version, but this has prompted me to "maybe" try a build that appears to work o.k out.

Minor Bugs i have found -

The popup stopper "appears" to be working, however doesn't give me the left hand corner icon when it has blocked one.

Hotmail account links will not work in - junk mail;empty, tools, and several other buttons along the top, same with the new messge - right hand favourite address menu with the scrollbar, that you can click on a name to insert it into To: CC: BC: ---- one thing i tried that did help a little with this was changing back to default theme, so it appears to be theme related, even though i only use themes compatible with my FF version, but there are still the odd one or two buttons/links that don't work.

One thing i would like to know is: Is it "possible" in Hotmail accounts using Firefox or same with Firebird, to change the Tools setting, for rich text editor - on-off??? As i have found i haven't been able to do this in either one?(even when i get the link to work!, the rich-text setting isn't there?) Is there a setting or add-on for it, or is it just not possible? A Firefox feature to only allow plain text mail maybe? ;-) and keep it nice and basic and fast:-). It doesn't bother me too much, but i would like to start teaching my nephew to use Firefox and this will be one feature I know he will miss, as he likes to add a bit of colour etc... to his emails.

Anyway as i said earlier these are only "minor" bugs, but i am interested to see how many other users have come across these? And if you have found any builds that fix them?

And yes i have tried all the normal things like reinstall, new profile etc....;-), but as i said i found most of these on the forums.

I do still really like Firefox though :-)

So anybody using any good builds?;-)

robert6655
26-02-2004, 05:18 PM
im just using the standard download off the site (downloaded about 1 week ago) and i find it GREAT beats the pants off ie, the only problem is links on pages someimes i have to click them a second time for it to work, and on pages where there is a drop down menu that sends you to a different page when you select something, i cant get it to go to any of the options in the window (eg i select forums in the drop down menu and the page stays on home and firefox doesnt do anything)

but apart from those minor gripes im loving it (da da da da da Mc donalds........lol)

Neil McC
26-02-2004, 05:56 PM
I've just had it say error........and close on me when I clicked ok,which is all I could do.So lost all my pages of course.And it sometimes seems to freeze when loading other pages.
But I'm still using it before Opera then IE6.

Jen C
26-02-2004, 06:55 PM
I have just been using the milestone release (0.8) in both Linux and Windows flavours and haven't noticed any bugs with them (or course you need to make sure your themes/extensions are compatible with 0.8+).

>Anyway as i said earlier these are only "minor" bugs, but i am interested to see how many other users have come across these? And if you have found any builds that fix them?

The list of nightly builds with fixes (and regressions) can be found here (http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/). You can see what one includes the fixes for your current issues.

>So anybody using any good builds?

Mozilla Firefox is my prime browser - I need it to work, so I leave the nightly builds alone :D.

Not long ago ago I did build my own Mozilla Firebird using CVS - downloading the CVS, configuring the build, compiling and producing a tarball to install took about 2 hours on a P3 933 MHz with 384 MB of RAM - that was quite fun, but it did have some bugs since it was produced from bleeding edge source files.

dumdum
26-02-2004, 07:53 PM
The only problem I had was when I installed the Phusion theme, which caused the pages to shimmer, to the extent they were unreadable.Soon fixed that by uninstalling the theme. Have had no problems otherwise.I do have 5-6 themes that I change from time to time, as a fresh look is good now and again, a bit like changing desktop pic. Looking forward to the day I can get the neanderthal theme for Firefox (wishful thinking).
I don't bother about nightlies as I'm happy with what I've got. ;)

DD

Chilling_Silently
26-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Ive used it as my Primary browser for around 17 months now.. No major issues. Still have to fire up IE once in a while when Im on a Doze box.

I must say that most of the problems occur when you use extensions to the browser that have been poorly coded, or for an incompatible version

Chill.

zqwerty
26-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Yes OK,

I have tried it too, on both of my o/s's, and it is a fast browser but if you don't want to d/l heaps of extensions to make it full featured then I still say:

http://www.myie2.com/html_en/update.htm

CU Rob.

J ZEP
26-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Well, i have solved my popup icon prob. it was caused by TBE, even though i had the one on the site for Firefox 0.8 - the latest release solved it, which is excellent, cause i do like to know when i am blocking popups!

I am still interested to hear if it is possible to use the rich-text editor in Hotmail/Webmail accounts? or is it just me? Seems odd it wasn't an option in Firebird too though?

Got to agree it does seem to be the ext. & themes that cause the probs...
Thats why i am not keen on trying the nightly builds unless totally necessary as i too use it as my primary browser and like it to be stable.

zminos
26-02-2004, 09:01 PM
same here J... my GF and I don't even use IE now... had to follow geoff palmers' idea of "if you want to tell MS what you want from a browser? then don't use IE" or was it Juhas?

I'd have to dig the mag up...

:)

Susan B
26-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Unfortunately I have had to ditch Firefox and revert back to Firebird due to very annoying focus problems when tabbing through the window tabs with the keyboard. :-(

It is probably due to the extension but as Firebird behaves perfectly I am sticking with that for now.

flying_green_leprachaun
27-02-2004, 01:02 AM
you guys realize that you can try the nightlies by simply unraring them to somewhere new?

I mean, I have my default install, in the default location.

I try out new builds by putting the new version elsewhere & just shortcutting to the new .exe

if its no good. delete.