PDA

View Full Version : Transferring files in OE

bonzo29
26-02-2004, 03:33 PM
What are the best ways of transferring the messages in OE5 on my old win 95 computer to my new machine running win XP and OE6 I have floppy drives on both machines but no CD burning option on the old machine

Sb0h
26-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Do you have both pc's networked?

Sb0h
26-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Actually here's an idea. Go to http://www.xdrive.com and sign up for a free trial account. That'll give you 500MB of online storage space. Upload the files from your Win95 pc to the xdrive account. Then download them to your XP pc. Then you can just cancel the xdrive account, you don't ever pay anything and they don't ask for credit card details until the trial expires, so it's no risk to you. This will take some time if you are on dialup, but hey it's one way to do it.

metla
26-02-2004, 03:39 PM
If it was me i would simply open Outlook express,highlight all your mail,drag em out of outlook into a folder of your choice,then rip the harddrive out and stick it in the new machine then drag all the mail out of the folder and deposit them into outlook express on your new machine.

Not to say thats the best way,but its how i would do it.

bonzo29
26-02-2004, 03:41 PM
no, I'm only using the old machine until I've transferred everything but willing try any option as long as it's not complicated or expensive!

bonzo29
26-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks Metla
Not game to put an old HD into a new computer which has a sata hard drive and the only data transfer which is baffling me are the OE5 messages which at the most would only occupy half a dozen floppies

metla
26-02-2004, 04:03 PM
uh.....use floppies then....

Sb0h
26-02-2004, 04:13 PM
I think I went for a round about and slightly complicated way of attacking this problem above. Metla is right, putting the old hard drive into the new computer is the fastest and easiest way to transfer the files. Trying to split your messages onto floppies will be more difficult and a right pain in the behind. Your motherboard in the new pc should still have IDE connections and it will be reasonably straight forward to plug the old drive in, transfer the files and the unplug it. XP will do all the work for you, just plug it in and away you go. I actually did this a few weeks ago to transfer email etc to a new PC for my mother-in-law, took about 30 minutes all up and no problems, a simple import in OE6.

Pheonix
26-02-2004, 05:06 PM
If you drag them to a folder, then zip the folder. Either use the zip program to span disks or use a splitting program like this (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/splitmerge.html) to split the zipped file to floppy's and recombine on the new PC.

If you feel more comfortable doing it that way.