PDA

View Full Version : Loading Windows updates stored locally?

Billy T
26-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Uurrrrgghhhh............

I just downloaded a wad of W2K updates to disk for spreading through my computers and it looks to me like I have to go through and install them all manually one by one.

I can't see anything in Windows Update that lets me point the updater to my CD rom, and I don't see an installer exe on the CD.

Have I missed something?

Please tell me I have. :_|

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(

_mike_
26-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Hey there

Have you tried HFNetChkPro from Shavlik? It is free for one server and ten PCs, though you do have to register. It will scan PCs for the patches they need and then install them for you from a central location. Shavlik provide the technology behind Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer

http://www.shavlik.com

Otherwise you can use qchain.exe from MS. This lets you link the patches together for a single-reboot install (where possible)

Mike C

Billy T
26-02-2004, 04:02 PM
I don't have a problem with Windows Update Mike, I just wanted to save the time and MB involved in downloading four times what I might be able to download once!

It is the efficient use of the updates I have already downloaded that I am now pursuing.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

_mike_
26-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Yep OK, I'm just not sure that Windows update will do what you are asking. Did you download them using Windows update on one PC, or did you download them from the Catalog site?

Mike

Billy T
26-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Downloaded from catalogue.

-=JM=-
26-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Tried using a batch file?

beama
26-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Billy We downlaod to and force the updates to the clients from a network share so I dont see that the drive location makes a difference.

_mike_
27-02-2004, 09:51 PM
I think that what Billy is trying to do is use Windows Update to update from the CD Rom, which as far as I know it won't do. You either need to use SUS, a third party product, or a script to push the patches across.

Mike

Billy T
27-02-2004, 10:02 PM
That's it Mike, you got it in one.

Thanks for the answer, I'll still keep the CD up to date but I never go near my 1GB Jetstream cap so I'll just keep on downloading to individual computers.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)