PDA

View Full Version : Would my ME be able to work a 120g external hd?

Neil McC
26-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Thinking of getting a Maxtor external hard drive as a step on the way to a new pc (one day).I know I'll have to install a card to get USB 2.At present the pc has a 40g in it,and I know that The PC Co had to do something to get that to work after the previous 10g hd.So will the 120g run ok,as in the pc seeing it? Also would it work ok,albeit slowly,on another pc with USB 1,as I would like to be able to save some of my sisters stuff off her pc (she has no writer).A Compac I think hers is.Win 98SE.
Mine is a
3 year old Duron 800 mhz. Win ME.256m ram.

PoWa
26-02-2004, 09:32 AM
120Gb external for Windows ME... hmmm... I'm betting it would blue screen every few minutes.

tweak\'e
26-02-2004, 09:47 AM
partition the 120 into more useable partitions and you shouldn't have a problem.

Neil McC
26-02-2004, 12:23 PM
now you've got me worried!!!Just moved the firewire card to make room for an usb card,so that is possible.A friend thinks it will act (the external hard drive)just like my video camera.Will be able to make folders on it for backup imaging etc,but not sure if it can be partitioned,seeing it's USB 2.And what about defragging? Thought I'd better check here first,seeing you guys know most things! Thanks.

Lohsing
26-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Why not use Firewire? I thought the Maxtor 120gig external drives are all firewire capable? Less CPU intensive.

As for defragging - I tried, but it never seemed to work on an external? Didn't bother partitioning either.

Cheers,

Lo.

Sb0h
26-02-2004, 12:58 PM
USB 2 shouldn't affect how you use the drive as long as you have the correct drivers installed. It should appear as a mass storage device and you should be able to format/partition and defrag it just as you would any other drive.
AFAIK WinME should be able to see the full 120GB if you are using FAT32.

Why did you move the firewire card? Could you not get an external drive that used firewire. Firewire appears to outperform USB2 slightly in devices such as harddrives due to lower overhead. Not that it makes much difference, just my 2c.

Neil McC
26-02-2004, 01:30 PM
I've been told that firewire is not available here.And the specs,(I'll have to copy over from the pdf).
Sustained transfer rate max
USB 2 -34Mb/sec
Firewire- 40 Mb/sec
Bus transfer rate max
USB 2--480Mb/sec
Firewire--400Mb/sec
Average seek time <9.3 ms
So which is better?
Only moved the firewire card to make sure I have enough room for another card.It's now up against the video card! Thanks guys.

Lohsing
26-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Who told you that firewire was not available here?

Maxtor external drives certainly support it... I think someone is leading you the garden path...

Lo.

Sb0h
26-02-2004, 03:06 PM
There are a number of manufacturers that support both USB2 and Firewire, Maxtor is one or you can look at EZQuest, Iomega or Simple Tech, many models have 8MB cache and 7200 RPM. Yes USB2 has a higher "theoretical" bit throughput, but firewire has less overhead on the cpu therefore file transfers are actualy slightly faster. Firewire would be my choice, but as I said earlier the difference is minor.

Sb0h
26-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Also if you want to create your own solution you can use an external drive mounting kit and put any desktop drive you like in it. A typical drive enclosure (3.5in IDE to Firewire) will cost about $150 and you can use any 3.5in IDE drive. Might be a cheaper way to go and more choice with drives as well.

Neil McC
26-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks Sb0H,will look into that .The Maxtor setup has one button backup software with it,after you set it up of course.Nearly $400.00.But I'm more concerned with image backups,and can do the rest myself.