PDA

View Full Version : HORRIBLE PROBLEM with WINDOWS XP

daisy
26-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Gurus,

I recently started using Windows XP, which came pre-installed on a new computer.
One of the first things I did was open the Accessibility Wizard so that my sad ol' eyes could read the screen easier. When I got to the option to reduce screen res I clicked OK. Immediately Windows turned upside down and nothing I could do would reverse it. So now I can't use the computer unless I stand on my head. (I'm sending this from another PC)

Accessibility Wizard has made my computer inaccessible! Thanks Microsoft.

An internet search brought up one other identical problem - a bewildered technician seeking help for his client who like me had used Accessibility Wizard and had Windows go belly up.

I don't know what to do. Any help, tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Daisy

PoWa
26-02-2004, 12:27 AM
Do a system restore back to before the problem occurred. Its in the start menu.

Then when everything is back to normal, try changing font sizes and screen resolution by the Display control panel.

R2x1
26-02-2004, 01:17 AM
Oh Dear me -
That must be the Northern hemisphere version :-) :-)

No such thing really, I agree with using system restore. It sure sounds novel for anyone but M$ to let this "feature" through. Maybe just setting the screen resolution way down, like 800 600 may be a less startling solution.
Good luck

drcspy
26-02-2004, 05:15 AM
lol sounds funny........um.......if you have trouble seeing what to do why not turn the monitor upside down so you can comprehend the screen while you fix it ........lol

Jen C
26-02-2004, 06:13 PM
This is a known bug with certain Intel Drivers. There will be a fix included in Service Pack 2 for XP which is being released mid-year, or you can contact Microsoft for the specific fix now.

More details here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826480).

A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this hotfix.

I like their comment " ... if you are not severely affected by this problem ...", I mean, people's screens are upside down, how unaffected is that! :D

Try changing your screen resolution back to 800 x 600 pixels by right-clicking on a blank area on the desktop, go Properties > Settings. Adjust the screen resolution with the slider. If that doesn't work, try 1024 x 768.

Big John
26-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Boot into safe mode (Press F8 while booting up) and then change the screen res back to what it was.

drcspy
26-02-2004, 06:20 PM
if it's a driver issue or similar you could goto safe mode, (or operate wiht the screen upside down lol), to 'roll back the driver' or to run 'system restore' or similar

MrBeef
26-02-2004, 08:09 PM
I had a problem with this, our mates down the road installed some old as game and it totally flipped the screen once you got into it and then that was it. Had to uninstall game and it was sweet.

R2x1
26-02-2004, 08:16 PM
> I like their comment " ... if you are not severely
> affected by this problem ...", I mean, people's
> screens are upside down, how unaffected is that! :D
>
> Try changing your screen resolution back to 800 x 600
> pixels by right-clicking on a blank area on the
> desktop, go Properties > Settings. Adjust the
> screen resolution with the slider. If that doesn't
> work, try 1024 x 768.

Neat work Jen, But have you checked the security
settings? It might be M$ 1.28 bit encryption at work.
:-) R2

R2x1
26-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Or perhaps it is intended to solve a vision problem; standing
on your head improves circulation to the eyes, and
voila - cured. Good old Uncle Bill was thinking of his users,
and offering a miracle cure FREE ! Or not.

blank_harry
26-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Daisy,

If you've got a PC which has an integrated video card, which relies on Intel drivers to make that card work, then perhaps you can fix the problem yourself.

Assuming you do, right click anywhere on the desktop and choose properties.

Go to the settings tab, click, go to 'advanced' command button, click.

One of the tab's in the 'advanced' section may have some reference to the layout of desktop viewing or such like.

Since I don't have an integrated combo myself I'm not entirely sure which tab in the advanced section may repair the upside down image for you.

Anyhow, poke around you never know what you may find.

HTH,

Harry

stu140103
27-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Hello every one

Daisy has solved her /his problem see this post: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=44826

daisy
27-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Sorry folks. I should have replied here. I'm new to this and thought the only way you'd all see my response was to post a fresh message. Still getting the hang of this 'watch' business.

Daisy

R2x1
28-02-2004, 02:04 AM
Good news Daisy, so now you don't have to learn yoga and change your name to "Ups_A_Daisy"

daisy
28-02-2004, 03:07 AM
Good one, R2, but at the rate I'm going I'll be pushing up daisies soon!
In the past week my floppy drive died, one of my monitors blew, and then as you know everything turned upside down. Not one of my better weeks.

agent_24
28-02-2004, 01:48 PM
do you by any chance have NV rotate by NVidida? it might have stuffed up as with Nvidia you can do just about anything to your screen

daisy
02-03-2004, 03:03 AM
No. I think the problem really related to some conflict between an Intel driver and XP's Accessibility Wizard. From now on I keep well away from that darn wizard.