PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bullet tracers

James Busby
25-02-2004, 08:57 PM
I read in a war book that tracers are fired in 1 in 5 shots. Why do they have tracers? what are they for? Wouldn't they just give away your position. They look cool:)

kiki
25-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Maybe its for night time use and the soldiers are firing from the hip.

tweak\'e
25-02-2004, 09:09 PM
also for anti aircraft (and used by aircraft) so they can see where they are shooting and it sets any fuel on fire.

MrBeef
25-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Also for the shooter to know where his bullet went (for accuracy etc)

robsonde
25-02-2004, 09:29 PM
1 in 5 is the normal way but some use 1 in 4 or other ratios.

the use of tracers is to see where you shots are going.

tweak\'e
25-02-2004, 10:24 PM
i wonder if they are legal to use? tho i think it wouldn't be a good thing to use in summer (fire risk).

PoWa
25-02-2004, 10:28 PM
The military do as they please.

tweak\'e
25-02-2004, 10:41 PM
no **** sherlock! lol ]:)

civilian use of course!

outrider
26-02-2004, 05:11 PM
most tracers have a delay so as to make it harder to trace it back to you

If your firing from the hips you will waste ammo and probley have been smoking something illegal

but they do look cool

dipstick01
26-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Tracer has many uses with the most common being to indicate when they are firing the last few rounds in their magazine or in correcting their aim when firing at a target. The advantages at night time are rather obvious as it does make it a damn sight easier to ensure your bullets are going to the right spot, it also helps during the day as it is not always easy to judge to whether you are shooting high/low or on target.

PoWa
26-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Smoking something illegal if you fire from the hips??

LOL

What are you smoking??

In the army they run round lots and if you spot an enemy in the distance you might fire off a few rounds then drop to the deck. Jeez you don't always have to fire an automatic weapon with it up to your shoulder.

Steve Askew
26-02-2004, 10:53 PM
> i wonder if they are legal to use? tho i think it
> wouldn't be a good thing to use in summer (fire
> risk).

I hope they are still legal as I still have a few sitting round for the old faithful 303.

Maybe they would be useful for shooting those possums in the shed?:p

Steve

tweak\'e
26-02-2004, 11:57 PM
>Maybe they would be useful for shooting those possums in the shed?

funny you should say that, the neighbour has some in .22. might end up with some hot possum!

tedheath
27-02-2004, 08:43 AM
I was in a Browing M2 50 cal gun crew on HMNZS Waikato (port aft).
Firing the gun with tracer was just like aiming a garden hose although for towed aerial targets you have to lead the target.
Once we we told to aim off at the towed hutts target ie purposely miss. It was needed again and was not to be shot down. But a certain Sgt of english extraction (Mike) shot it down. In his honour a hutts target kill was painted on the helicopter.

tedheath

Craigb
27-02-2004, 11:08 AM
I also read that during WW2, that some of the guns in the Dam Buster aircraft where loaded with just about all tracer. The idea was that when the aircraft was on its bombing run, the aircraft gunners would hose the German gun positions on the ground and the sight of all that hot lead coming towards them would put the German gunners off and hopefully miss the aircraft.

Craigb

Graham L
27-02-2004, 03:34 PM
The reason for tracer is: You don't "aim" an automatic weapon at a moving target (especially in the 3D world of aircraft). If you can see the trajectory of the bullets, you have a chance of hitting the target. If you can't, you won't.

WalOne
27-02-2004, 05:44 PM
One of the uses of tracers is to pin point the target. I recall from Territorial days that having spotted the dreaded enemy, one fires a tracer yelling "follow my tracer, Neddy" (or words to that effect) so one's comrades can blast the living (whatever) out of the spot where your tracer landed. ;\