PDA

View Full Version : partition issues

jupi8
25-02-2004, 07:46 PM
hey there,

Ok heres the thing I have just obtained a copy of fedora core 1 and am not familiar with the ways of the linux, before installing I created a partition to accomidate but did not set up a duel boot system or boot magic!!!! what a dumbass!!! now pedora is runing as my primary and I cannot get back into my windows xp. I have back-ups but did not create a restore cd.

Yes I know what your thinkin.
Is there anything that I can do or will a have to format?

Glassman
25-02-2004, 08:16 PM
This may work on xp i know it works on win 98 / win me if you can get hold of a win 98 / win me boot disk. Go into your bios and set it so you can boot from a floppy then insert the floppy and let you computer boot
when it has booted and you are greeted with the A:/ Type fdisk/mbr

So the line should look like this A:/fdisk/mbr

This will restore you boot record to windows and you should be able to boot into xp.

I hope this helps

Glassman
25-02-2004, 08:21 PM
I think this will work for you BUT dont do it untill someone on pf1 confirms weather i am right or wrong cheers Glassman

JohnD
25-02-2004, 08:23 PM
I presume you mean that you resized the XP NTFS partition to make room for Linux?

During the install you were asked to configure the boot loader (GRUB). This should have picked up WinXP and you should have been able to set either Linux or XP as the default OS.

Assuming you still have a working XP system (that you currently cannot boot), you need to rewrite GRUB to the master boot record with the correct settings.

A copy of /etc/grub.conf of one PC I set is below:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
# initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
title WinXP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You will need to make sure the partitions are the same as your situation. Once you save this file, the mbr is re-written.

Reboot and hopefully all is well.

Glassman
25-02-2004, 08:32 PM
I forgot to add that my solution if it works will leave you unable to get back into linux so perhaps it would be best to follow JOHN D answer

I would like to know it the fdisk/mbr trick works for xp

JohnD
25-02-2004, 08:51 PM
If you want to just get XP going again and "can" the Linux install, you can use the XP CD to start the recovery console and use fixmbr.