PDA

View Full Version : I have two XP operating systems on one drive.

john r
25-02-2004, 07:20 PM
I started with a multi boot with 98SE and XP Pro,I reformatted C partition and installed a fresh copy of XP on C now I have 2 working copies of XP.
Can I now reformat the partition the old copy is on and just have the new one when I start up.
Thanks,
John.

MaryJane
25-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Can you currently boot into the version that is on the C drive? If so yes you can reformat the other partition.

john r
25-02-2004, 07:36 PM
Yes the new XP copy is working fine,it is the default one in the start-up choice,I can also open files on the other 3 partitions.
will this remove the two choices on start-up to one.
John.

Big John
25-02-2004, 09:07 PM
You will need to edit the Boot.ini file on the boot drive. You will need to un-hide system files to see this one.
You will then see the extra OS specified at the bottom. Delete the ones you don't need.

Note: You need to be carefull when doing things to the boot.ini file because you can stuff it up. Do a search for boot.ini and you should find what you need.

john r
25-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks BJ,
I will do some research,
John.

beama
25-02-2004, 11:36 PM
you can do the same thing without any editing of file by going to
mycomputer.....properties9( right click) advanced tab.....startup and recovery(click on settings) you should be able to change the boot partition in there

john r
26-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Thanks beama,
I have had a look on my notebook,it looks like what I am looking for,same as BJ was talking about with notepad edit function.
John.