PDA

View Full Version : DVD-RW

AZREAL
25-02-2004, 03:18 PM
I heard quite awhile back that you shouldn't do much of anything on you CD-RW drive other than burning CDs because you will wear out its CD burning ability....... Is this fact true and does it also go for DVD-RW drives as well?
See this is the thing.... I have a DVD-Rom drive that does not recognise DVDs when I try and play one. I have to put a DVD in and reboot for it to recognise and play. It's a BTC BDV 108A and I would really like to set it to recognise DVDs.... Also How can I flash this drive properly to make it region free? I've been using this drive for a few years now and it used to recognise DVDs as I put them in but now (and since last year) it hasn't recognised any DVDs (until after I reboot).
I got a DVD-RW and it recognises DVDs perfectly but I'm worried I might wear out it's burning properties.

I've posted for help on this forum before concerning this problem (of my BTC DVD-ROM) but nothing seems to work.... I'm fed up on rebooting everytime I want to watch a DVD.
Any Suggestions?
Thanks in Advanced

Sb0h
25-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Have you tried running a cleaning disc in it? It is possible the lens is covered in dust and that can cause the drive not to read properly. AFAIK it is true that the laser diodes in CD and DVD drives do lose output strength over time and the drive/drawer motors do wear out. This is not restricted to just CD and DVD writers but affects CD and DVD ROM's as well. That is why you are better off using a cheaper DVD or CD-ROM for most of your usage and saving your writer for writing only. That way when it wears out it is cheaper to replace.

AZREAL
25-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanks for putting that myth into fact for me....
No my DVD-ROM is clean, it reads other formats no problem..... It's just when I try playing DVDs that it does try to read (the disk icon next to the cursor) but after that, when I open up PowerDVD (for example) and push play.... a message pops up saying "No disk in drive D:"
(D: is my DVD-ROM drive)...

AZREAL
25-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Still can't be helped huh?

AZREAL
25-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Someone's gotta know how to fix this riddle?

AZREAL
26-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Or maybe it's time for me to get a new DVD-rom drive?

Susan B
26-02-2004, 01:18 PM
> Or maybe it's time for me to get a new DVD-rom drive?

How old is your DVD-ROM drive?

Graham L
26-02-2004, 01:25 PM
If it recognises and reads a DVD after a reboot, you have reset the Windows option to automatically play a disc when it is found. You should be able to go through My Computer and either doubleclick the drive, or right click/Open.

I've got some lurgy so the brain's not functioning too well, but someone will tell you how to restore the autoplay option.:-)

kiwibeat
26-02-2004, 04:18 PM
sell the old one and use the burner by the time its worn out there will be newer faster ones out so sell it in a year or so

CYaBro
26-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Are you sure PowerDVD is looking at the correct drive?
Is your old DVD-ROM D:?? or is the D: your DVD-RW drive?
There should be an option in PowerDVD to select which is the default drive it will look at. Or you can manually tell it look at another drive. In your case most likely will need to be E:

AZREAL
27-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Yeah it's in the correct drive.
But Windows does not recognise it....... When I put in other forms of discs such as Music CDs, and CD-roms, it recognises those ok.
It's just with DVDs. I played around with autoplay but it still doesn't work properly with the DVDs. Me DVD-rom drive is about 3 years old.

CYaBro
27-02-2004, 08:40 AM
This should only be a last resort!! But what about a firmware (http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=25) update?