PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: An Office XP issue

Lizard
25-02-2004, 03:03 PM
This is considerably urgent. Does anyone know how to make sure that footnotes in a Word document stay on the page they originate from? i.e., having inserted a footnote, the corresponding reference at the bottom of the page is actually on the same page?

Thanks
Lizard

godfather
25-02-2004, 04:09 PM
They will (should) always stay on the page that they were referenced from.

I have just finished 50+ pages with up to 5 footnotes on each page. Even adding pages, repaginating etc, the footnotes flowed correctly to reflect the page they were referenced from.

As far as I know nothing you can or need to do to change it. It should always be correct automatically.

Is this not the case with your document?

Lizard
25-02-2004, 04:17 PM
> They will (should) always stay on the page that they
> were referenced from.
>
> I have just finished 50+ pages with up to 5 footnotes
> on each page. Even adding pages, repaginating etc,
> the footnotes flowed correctly to reflect the page
> they were referenced from.
>
> As far as I know nothing you can or need to do to
> change it. It should always be correct automatically.
>
>
> Is this not the case with your document?

Sadly no. It's quite important that every thing be in place (a history thesis), and everything I've tried hasn't fixed it. I've shortened a number of the fn's to short form (Author and page, instead of the whole reference), and that fixed a number of the errant notes. I've noticed that when the footnote is close to the bottom of the page, it sometimes moves it to the next page where including the reference would push the footnote over to the next page anyway. But one footnote in question is near the middle of the page, and there is no reason why it shouldn't stay on the page. It's a conundrum...
Thanks anyway, GF

Lizard

godfather
25-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Did you by any chance start this document on an earlier version of Word?

This is a known bug, with some solutions in that case

http://www.cam.ac.uk/cs/docs/faq/v15.html

Lizard
25-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Godfather, you truly are a god! :D

This works beautifully!

Not only am I saved, you may have saved many History students at Massey in PN! :D

Lizard (off to spread the Word - literally!)

godfather
25-02-2004, 10:17 PM
You are welcome!