PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 1 Install

CYaBro
25-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Hey all you linux-heads,

Just trying to install Fedora Core 1 that I downloaded from the jetstreamgames ftp.

The install starts as normal by booting from the CD then it says press Enter for install / upgrade bla bla bla so I press Enter. It carries on then asks about testing the CD, which I do and it passes then it carries on and detects the video card mouse monitor etc but then the monitor goes black saying Frequency out of Range. This is a fairly new Philips 17" monitor and I also tried with a 15" monitor and had the same problem.

The PC is a brand new Artec Celeron 2.4GHz, 256MB DDR RAM, 40GB 7200rpm HDD, onboard ProSavage Video.

What am I doing wrong??

Fire-and-Ice
25-02-2004, 10:47 AM
Isnt "frequency" the refresh rate? Could it be set a bit too high for the generic drivers that Fedora must be using to begin with? It might need to go down a notch or two until the proper drivers are installed.

Just guessing here - the Linux gurus will no doubt know more. ;-)

CYaBro
25-02-2004, 10:55 AM
That's what I'm thinking but it doesn't ever give you a chance to set the refresh rate. And besides this is a 17" monitor which I have had running at very high refresh rates / resolutions so what is the default refresh rate for fedora??? Must be pretty high :)

chiefnz
25-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Does your monitor have a reset button that you can press to revert back to the factory default settings?

If it does then reset it, it should go back to a base frequency of 60Hz for the monitor.

That should make the install go fine.

cheers
chiefnz

CYaBro
25-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Yes, I fixed it!

Found the option to change the resolution of the graphical install part.

Installed it by typeing - linux resolution=640x480

Now it is working. :)

Cheers

Chilling_Silently
25-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Im pretty sure that it runs at 800x600 @ 70hz by default...?

Could be wrong of course...

Chill.