PDA

View Full Version : modem freezes computer

Fatcam
25-02-2004, 01:17 AM
Hi all

I have a problem which is causing me grief. I have a dynalink modem in my duron 1000 which seems to freeze my machine. I have the latest drivers from the dynalink website and I have put the modem into another machine and it works fine. What happens is once I connect to the internet after a period of time [which varies] the machine just freezes and requires resetting via the reset or power button. I have tried a different phone cord and a different pci slot with no luck. I have un-installed and re-installed the modem several times and even completely re-installed windows.
I am running windows 2000 with 512mb ram.
Any ideas, no matter how crazy, will be much appreciated. I am willing to try anything.

cheers
cameron

kiwibeat
25-02-2004, 09:49 AM
sell it and get a external seriel modem be much more reliable

tweak\'e
25-02-2004, 10:41 AM
if the modem works fine in the other pc then the modem is proberly not at fault. if its only locking up after a while on the net i would suspect spyware or one of the net related programs has a problem.

having said that it could just be a glitchy modem, winmodems can get fun at times. also i have seen faulty/poor PSU's cause modems to play up.

hoopzta
25-02-2004, 05:11 PM
What other pci devices do you have in there? Often intererence from soundcards or video graphic cards can cause this sort of problem

godfather
25-02-2004, 06:12 PM
As a Winmodem is only a collection of components that get instructed at every step how to operate by the main CPU, they are totally reliant on every other piece of hardware and software thats installed and running, for continued correct operation.

Conversely the normal operation of the PC is dependent on the modem components doing what is expected as well.

As long as they play together its fine. Thats why Winmodems can be troublesome and when they are can be hard to fix. Its not always the modem at fault, but some esoteric mix of other hardware or software.

Hardware based serial RS232 modems have their own CPU and firmware and continue to behave as a modem despite the other hardware and software usually, but that reliability comes with a higher $ cost.

Fatcam
25-02-2004, 07:08 PM
I have onboard sound but now that you mention it I did put a different AGP card in the machine not too long ago. I will try a different video card and see how I get on.

cheers for all the help