PDA

View Full Version : Modem - Which??

Ron_A
24-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Hi
I have the option of using a serial USR modem versus a D-Link USB
Both are Dialup and V90 protocol
The D-Link does not seem to report connect speed - only thr port speed no matter what I do

Suggestions?

TIA
Ron

Elephant
25-02-2004, 12:30 AM
G'day then.

Having read your original post regarding reported connect speed for the DLink I would opt to use the serial modem. You now say that you have the option of using the DLink OR the serial USR. In the earlier post you would be correct in thinking that 115 KB will be the port speed. I don't disagree with this.

If you have the option I would use the Serial modem. I take it that the USR Modem works and reports the correct connect speed.

I don't know if your realise this but the connect speed is not what you will get all the time. Modems have a habit of retraining depending on line condtions. The modem may well connect at 52K but train down to 31K at times and train back up if conditions improve while online.

When I had a modem connected here I had a serial modem ( External ) connected to Com 4. Currently I use a wireless broadband connection and I still have the modem just in case I go back to Dialup.

Is the USB DLink modem hayes compatible? What operating system do you use and what ISP are we talking about?

> Hi
> I have the option of using a serial USR modem versus
> a D-Link USB
> Both are Dialup and V90 protocol
> The D-Link does not seem to report connect speed -
> only thr port speed no matter what I do
>
> Suggestions?
>
> TIA
> Ron

Terry Porritt
25-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Also, following on from Elephant, the USR serial port modem is very much better. It is a modem in it's own right, whereas the USB modem will use more cpu for its operation.
I used a USR serial modem before ADSL, and it consistently gave much better performance than modems with Rockwell chips (Conexant) either internal PCI or external

Ron_A
27-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks Guys
Have taken your advice and reinstalled my USR modem
I use Win XP
Am now connected regularly at 50.6 here is Wellington

Cheers
Ron