PDA

View Full Version : A few Random Questions

hamstar
24-02-2004, 04:52 PM
I got a few random questions...

1. If I have two telephone lines, two computers each with a modem in them, both connected to a switch, my computer is plugged into the switch. When I connect with both those modems and ICS is enabled do I get 112kbps?

2. If I tick "compress disk contents to save disk space" does that mean I have to wait while a file or progam is being decompressed before it opens?

3. My tutor has set up winxp pro on all the computers at my course (12) and we did have the blaster worm, but now we have got rid of it... but the thing is, XP runs like a biatch... well when I use it anyway. I have trouble copying stuff over networks, getting 3 explorer windows open at once. I counted 15 crashes of this nature in about 30-60minutes. I left it to my tutor and it worked fine! For a while. Then he reinstalled it. I came to use it and it did not want to know me. He used it, it went fine. He started copying some music back over that was backed up on another computer and it looked fine. I sat down on the seat and it crashed. WTF!!!

My tutor said its cause I say bad things 'bout bill.

4. i had this one but now its gone.

Cheers!

Graham L
24-02-2004, 05:02 PM
1. No. I don't think any ISPs provide this mode. And it might be difficult to set it up in Windows. (Of course in Linux ...).

2. I think they're smart enough to compress files only when they have been unused for a while.

3. It's because you say bad things about Bill.

Terry Porritt
24-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Well it's like this....
Some people have green fingers, they plant things, talk to them nicely, and they grow. Others only have to look at a plant and it curls up and dies.

Computers are the same, some people only have to go near them and they curl up and crash.

I expect you belong to this group, sorry, there is no cure :D

Elephant
24-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Leave computers alone. You are probably full of static electricity.
Change clothing or shoes or both.
Bill Gates probably does not even know you exist so don't blame him.

Secondly..... Try learning more off your Tutor.

Thirdly.... Try some research on Google for your exact problem.

I am not getting at you in particular but we all have to be responsible for our own actions don't we?

I will turn 62 years old this year and believe that I don't know everything yet. It doesn't stop me trying though. :-)

beetle
24-02-2004, 09:59 PM
And i wasnt even any where near the place so its not my static electric personality doing things to your puters..... :p
and i feel when you are of an electric personality like mine, it wont matter what sort of machine it is, if it use's electricity its a gonner......

but i can say i have not done much damage lately due to the fact i have been so busy, and not on the puter much and also not been out in the world so much doing harmul damage to other peoples appliances so people can breath easy.

:D

sorry have no helpful words to your questions though.

beetle

Elephant
24-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Oooooppps. And here was me thinking you lived close to Hamstar.

Your Aura goes further than you think. :-)

beetle
24-02-2004, 10:33 PM
OH ! :p

lol i actually have no idea where Hamstar lives.

and as far as im concerned no puters have been damaged or disrupted by beetle in the making of this thread.

:D

beetle

Elephant
24-02-2004, 11:59 PM
I take it that no Elephants have been destroyed either. :-)

I'm quite happy to eat the odd Cow though.... or parts thereof.

No!!!!! You haven't damaged anything!

I don't know where Hamstar lives either but I did say you have a good aura.

Just maybe it reaches that far?

I noticed last night that the Fridge question got revived. Why?

Laura
25-02-2004, 06:59 AM
Presumably the culprit was feeling a teensy bit bored.....?

(And Winston 001 would've known how to get a bite or two ....or 10...or...)

Pete O\'Neil
25-02-2004, 06:07 PM
it is actually possiable to combine two dialup accounts, u need to have the 2 modems in the same PC and have two phone lines(at this point DSL or other highspeed options become far cheaper) plus u'll need an ISP that allows u two dail in too ur account while it is acctivated on another modem. There an option under the dail up account to bind the two modems.

tweak\'e
25-02-2004, 08:33 PM
while dueling modems is possible no isp offically supports it.

out of interest tho i did stumble apon a setting in sygate internet shareing program (i think it was theirs) that allowed the bandwidth to be split between different dialups on different pc's. the idea was so the 2nd/3rd modem could be added to the toatal internet bandwidth. never did get it to work tho.