PDA

View Full Version : File Compression

garyasta
24-02-2004, 03:32 PM
I have some 2GB files that i want to compress to a CD (650mb).

I am using WinXP and have Nero CD Burner also.

Is it possible to compress to 650mb.

I have looked at WinXP setup but it appears to try to write to the same drive.

Gary

robsonde
24-02-2004, 03:42 PM
it depends on what the files are.....

easy answer is no.

it is unlikely to get more than %50 compression on that many files.

you can zip it down and burn 3 or 4 CDs?

bmason
24-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Zipping the files (with something like winzip) may compress the file enough to fit on a single cd, but it really depends on the type of data. Unless its text, or perhaps MS Office documents it won't compress that much. If its already in a compressed format, eg mp3 or avi, then it won't get any smaller.

If you can't compress the file enough you could break it into parts and span it across multiple disks. Winzip will do it if you choose the spaning option when creating an archive.

Graham L
24-02-2004, 03:47 PM
It's highly unlikely that a 2GB file can be compressed to 650MB. ;-)

There are a few solutions. Some backup software will write as many CDs as are necessary. PKZip (and almost certainly WinZip and WinRAR) will write "spanned" multiple output files which can be written to multiple CDs. There are "split" programmes which will break up the original fiel to suitable chunks, and provide a matching programme to restore it.

It's safest to do any such compression/splitting to a hard disk, then copy the results to a CD. Useful amounts of compression use significant amounts of CPU, so there might be delays in feeding a VD writer.

kiwibeat
24-02-2004, 08:35 PM
get a dvd burner like i did and then burn up to 4.5 gigs at once cost about $240 for a liteon 411 and $2.5 to $7 for blanks

kiwibeat
27-02-2004, 10:54 AM
if you are in wgtn and have a dvd drive i can back up the file for you just need the HDD for the data

hamstar
27-02-2004, 01:10 PM
I highly reccomend winrar. Superior compression and easy to use splitting function. I too, think it would be hard to get 2gigs on a cd unless its raw files like bmp or something.

garyasta
10-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Hi All

Thanks for your comments. Nero support has suggested some ideas which i will try out soon.

Cheers
Gary

Chilling_Silently
10-03-2004, 11:46 AM
> It's highly unlikely that a 2GB file can be
> compressed to 650MB. ;-)
Ever un-compressed Knoppix? ;-)

> It's safest to do any such compression/splitting to a
> hard disk, then copy the results to a CD. Useful
> amounts of compression use significant amounts of
> CPU, so there might be delays in feeding a VD writer.
Too right :-)

I would recommend WinAce or WinRAR for Windows.

There's more than one way to skin a cat... ;-)

I know that Norton Ghost can compress data quite well. It really does depend (as mentioned) on the type of data you're trying to compress.

Splitting the compressed file is probably your best bet :-) Experiment with both WinAce and WinRAR to see which will compress your data the best.

Chill.