PDA

View Full Version : hp printer compatibility with office 2000

Joe Davies
24-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Dear Folks,

I'm having big trouble with my recently purchased HP deskjet 3820.

Often when I print from Word 2000 (part of MS Office 2000), the connection appears to be suddenly lost. The printer spits out pages and pages consisting of one line of rubbish and refuses to purge the queue.

It usually happens when I'm trying to print more than two pages, but it can and does happen sometimes when I'm trying to print only one.

HP's help service (in Bangalore!) tells me there's nothing wrong with the printer. I've bought a new cable and downloaded fresh drivers, but no help.

My brother who knows about these things tells me there is a compatibility problem between this printer and Office 2000. Does anyone know of a patch or something that can be downloaded to fix it?

I'm running Windows ME on a Celeron 466 and the printer is connected via a parallel cable.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Joe Davies

godfather
24-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Office applications only use the underlying Windows printer driver, so not sure of any "Office 2000 compatability" issues.

Perhaps your brother can point you to some info somewhere on that?

You state that you have bought a new printer cable.
Is it a certified IEE 1284 compliant cable?
Your described problems sound like the data being sent to the printer is getting corrupted, and this can happen when using cheap generic printer cables as they have insufficient sheilding when used on modern high speed data buffer transfers.

ugh1
24-02-2004, 12:57 PM
First question, does the windows printer test page come out ok?

Second question, have you configured the parallel port as ECP/EPP?

As godfather says cheap nasty printer cables can give you big problems.

It is true that word does have some issues with some printers, but the problems only seem to occur with documents containing lots of fonts and heavy formatting.

mikebartnz
24-02-2004, 04:59 PM
I had someone with the same problem. Being a new printer it should have a USB conection, use that instead. A USB connected printer seems to cause far less trouble. Off hand I can't remember how I fixed it but have it written down at the clients so will check with them on Wednesday.