PDA

View Full Version : Installing Linux 9 Redhat With XP

Gum Digger
24-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Hey
Iam wondering how i can install linux redhat on my system,
iam currently running win98 and xp pro on seperate partition, win 98se partion is fat32 and xp is also on fat32. now iam wondering if i can format 98se partition and replace it with linux
Can anyone guide me step by step
thanks

Chilling_Silently
24-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi there Gum Digger,

What you are wanting to do is not overly difficult at all :-)

With Redhat, the Installer has a brilliant Partition Manager as part of it.

The easiest way to go about Installing Redhat would be:
Make a Boot Disk, from either Win98 or WinXP.
Boot off it and run:
fdisk
Delete the Win98 Partition, and Dont make another to replace it.

Restart your PC with the Redhat CD 1 in the drive and (If your BIOS is configured for it) it will boot off the CD and begin installation.

When it gets to partitioning, tell it to do it all automatically, and use Only free-Unpartitioned space :-)

That's it ;-)

If you have any more questions, or get stuck, post back.
Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Chill.

MaryJane
24-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Don't forget to backup all your important data just in case. :-)

Graham L
24-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Before you start the RH installation, check that you can boot XP. :D Its boot manager will still have an entry for W98, but you can fix that later.

Chilling_Silently
24-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Its probably a good idea to do as Graham suggested,
However, Ive had experience where XP wouldnt boot. After I installed Redhat 8 on the PC, I simply used the Linux Boot Loader and it was fine :-)

YMMV Obviously, so do check ;-)

Chill.

Gum Digger
25-02-2004, 07:53 AM
hi
I installed Linux redhat successfully but problems appeared while i was installing it. when i deleted the windows 98 se partition i couldn't use windows xp, everytime i started my pc it use to say "press any key to restart" then i ignored it and installed linux even then i couldn't get into xp, now i ended up removing linux and installing fresh copy of windows XP pro. so now i have to 2 windows installed on different partitions now what i want to boot into the other partition my original i had before.
how can i do this, i don't get it. plze help.

Chilling_Silently
25-02-2004, 01:07 PM
You will need to modify your boot.ini file on your C: Drive.

Add another entry that's almost identical, except for the HDD / Partition references and give it a try.

Cheers

Chill.

Gum Digger
25-02-2004, 11:31 PM
hey thanks its sloved now
by the way is there a step by step guide to install linux and windows xp on defferent partition.
i remeber there was one in pcworld magazine not sure which 1, will i be able to find it on net

Chilling_Silently
26-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Im not sure about that but you should be good if you do the following:
Clear a partition so its "Un-Partitioned space".
Boot Redhat 9.
When prompted let it Auto-Partition using Un-Partitioned space.

You should be good from there-on-in

It probably wouldnt boot WinXP because you took the boot loader out when you formatted the first partition.
It may require a little bit of tweaking the boot loader, ONLY if you cant boot XP after clearing a partition.
If you can still boot XP After getting rid of a partition so you can install Redhat, then you should be able to install it without a hitch!

Chill.

Gum Digger
26-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Hey chilling
So you are saying if i can boot Xp after formatting partition i will be able to use both Xp and Linux after installing linux. and what if it doesnt work then wat to do. Which file system should i use fat32 or NTFS i wanna stick to fat32 is that kool.
plze reply soon.
thanks

Chilling_Silently
27-02-2004, 12:21 AM
YES! Stick with Fat32.
Ntfs write support is still not perfected in Linux. It mostly is sweet under the 2.6 kernel but there are some limitations. Its considered "stable" now though so that's good :-)

Yes, that's right though..
Basically, If it doesnt work, boot back off the CD, and begin install as you would normally. This time however, select the partition your OS is currently installed on (Leaving part of the HDD Un-partitioned). It will then tell you its found a Windows Installation on that partition, and would you like to repair it rather than re-install over top of it. Either repair it or install over top of it, it'll keep your docs etc so dont fret.

THEN, install Redhat 9 when you've got only one installation of XP and its booting fine :-)
I doubt you'd have any problems from there on in :-)

Cheers

Chill.

Gum Digger
27-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Hey chilling
Srry iam a bit too dum in this things man, but tell me one thing, if i cant load Xp after formatting the other partition how can i repair my setup again, there is a recorvery consol which i are sets of commands that i dont know and the other one is overwritting, in overwritting i know my docs will be there but wat about my programs will they stay in like they were before?.

tommy
27-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Using Recovery in Windows XP does make you lose your previous Windows settings including security updates which will need to be redone. Your documents will be fine and so should your programs but there is never any guarantee.

Chilling_Silently
28-02-2004, 05:26 AM
Just re-install over top of itself......

Gum Digger
28-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Hey
Maybe its not too easy, this was my second atempt faild again. k ill tel u wat i eaxctly did
i restarted and booted from win98 bootable cd in order to get into dos,, when i got into dos i tryed formatting the drive which i wanted to instal linux on but it didnt work, then i used Fdisk using large disk support then deleted the partition. then as you guyz told me to check if xp boots after removign the partition, it didnt boot. so i tryed installing XP again, i put the cd in and the setup menu came but it didnt have an option to repair the installation it just said wheather you want to install on, delete partition and create a partition and when i tryed to re install it on top of the WindowsXp installation. it said that it will format the partition and will delete you docs and even my documents.
so i quite the setup and installed win98 to get access to my previous partition, now i want to edit boot.ini so i can access windowxp.
I have 3 partition
c: this the drive where i want to install Linux and am on 98 rite now
d: this partiton is one of the 3 partition where store my media files
e: this partition is where my windows xp is installed.

Please help with booting xp ppl/
thanks

Chilling_Silently
28-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Im sure you can. Try a few different things, you may have to reboot a couple of times, but I KNOW you can. Im sorry I cant be too much help, I dont do many Windows installs anymore, but Im still sure you can!

Perhaps somebody else can offer some guidelines on repairing the install? It might pay to start another thread on repairing XP, linking to this thread (With a new subject line). That way, people who know about repairing WinXP can help.
Then bring this thread back to life

Chill.

JohnD
28-02-2004, 06:25 PM
I wonder if XP is installing it's boot files (NTLDR, boot.ini, NTDETECT, etc) to the c: drive where 98 is?? If so this would explain XP not going.

You don't need to delete any partitions before beginning a RH9 install - using DiskDruid you can delete or reformat during the install.

If my thought is correct you could try this:

1. Just go ahead and install RH9 - make sure that you make a boot disk. At this stage Linux will go but not XP.
2. Boot from the XP recovery console and use fixmbr and maybe fixboot - others might help here - I am not sure if both will be needed.
3. Now XP will go but not RH9. However the boot files should now be in the right place for XP.
4. Boot back to Linux using the boot disk. resave GRUB and all might be right?

Jen C
28-02-2004, 06:31 PM
You can repair your XP from the installation disk - you just need to choose that option, normally by pushing "R" at the prompt.

You can find a graphical how-to here (http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/part1.htm) on repairing XP.

Gum Digger
29-02-2004, 10:44 AM
JohnD
Wats Grub in linux and how do i use it because i dont know where it is when i go in.

Gum Digger
29-02-2004, 10:57 AM
HEy
MY Boot.ini situated on the partition iam on right now, looks like this

[Boot Loader]
timeout=1
Default=C:\

[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

How can i edit this so windows XP will oad insted on 98?

Graham L
29-02-2004, 02:44 PM
I think you can change the default line to"Default=\WINDOWS", but XPerts might say I'm wrong.

It should be safe enough to change the timeout to 10 or 20, so you have time to choose.:D

Of course don't use a "Word processor"... use Notepad or Wordpad.

JohnD
29-02-2004, 08:46 PM
GRUB stands for Grand Unified Boot Loader. It has a configuration file called /etc/grub.conf. For more information see:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

YOu will need to be logged in as root to edit the file. If my previous post is correct, all you should have to do is re-save the file which will rewrite the master boot record.

Chilling_Silently
29-02-2004, 11:56 PM
> YOu will need to be logged in as root to edit the
> file. If my previous post is correct, all you should
> have to do is re-save the file which will rewrite the
> master boot record.

Not quite. GRUB will need to be re-written to the MBR, with the Windows information also in the Config file.

Its not terribly hard to do, follow Gentoo's good installation guide (Read the parts after "Code Listing 1").
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=9

Hope this helps

Chill.