PDA

View Full Version : xtra's one person dialup policy

yingxuan
24-02-2004, 05:54 AM
HEllo

In a while back about 3 years ago I remembered that my sister had to pay her bf 500 dollars on top of the internet bill because they both use the same connection.
Xtra says at the site now that they charge 2.50 per hour to share to connect to the same dialup

I was wondering.IS there some sort of message pop up that comes up telling you that the connection u are connected to is being shared with another person who is currently online.
Like if im online and my mates online will xtra tell u about it?
They said 2.50 dollars an hour.IF my friend never connect to the same connection at the same time.Would they be able to charge the 2.50?

Im a bit fuzzy with xtra.The word called hate seem to come to mind..
I use paradise but was just wondering if anybody knows this answer for this question.
Do u think my sister should've payed for the 500 bucks?
Im not sure but maybe it was listed in the terms and condition maybe not.
Any ideas?

yingxuan
24-02-2004, 05:55 AM
FOr paradise it is quite sweet.It only supports one dialup user connecting but lol the time when my friend used my account.Sometimes u could dial and connect at the same time.Weird..Of course i logged of straight away.JUst to be safe and not think of the word xtra no2

falvrez
24-02-2004, 08:22 AM
i've heard about this supposed one person dial up policy from Xtra but it just doesn't seem to work that way for us.
We have mulitple users sharing the one dial up connection when out on the road, and we are simply charged $2.50 per hour for whoever is on at the time. If it happens that two users are sharing that same dial up account at the same time (it happens) then we are charged $5.00 per hour. How can they tell it's a different user anyway? They can't.

Same scenario for the unlimited dial up account: it's fine unless you get two people sharing at the same time then it's an extra $2.50 per hour (or part thereof) while the second user is online at the same time.

Is this not working the same for others? Are we on to something sweet here without knowing it??

whiskeytangofoxtrot
24-02-2004, 10:22 AM
This has been their policy from day one, and rightly so.

They provide support for simultaneous logins, but they do not pop-up a box to tell you this, because it isn't possible.

I guess they work on the principal that if you have given someone your username and password to dial up on then they have permission to use the account regardless of any charges that may be incurred.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
24-02-2004, 10:25 AM
> are charged $5.00 per hour. How can they tell it's a
> different user anyway? They can't.

What you've described is exactly how it should and does work.

They can quite easily tell it's a different user. If a particular username is already connected, and the same username connects at the same time from another location it is simple to see they have simultaneous sessions and charge accordingly.

godfather
24-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Xtra's policy is very good and works well foe extended family situations or travelling members of a family.

Consider Orcon's terms and conditions:

Any account may be only used by one person at a time unless express written permission is granted by the ISP. The ISP reserves the right to allow only calls originating from predefined phone numbers. The penalty for having simultaneous logins is $225 (including GST) per simultaneous login per occurrence.

Its likely that they don't always apply it as they appear to be a very good ISP, but the cost to the unwary could be horrendous if it was actually charged.

Odin
24-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Ihug have a similar policy to xtra for simultanious connections. And freenet well it just isn't possible as you can only connect from the phone number you signed up with. Tell your friend to get thier own account, after all it is only $2.50 per hour, you shoudn't be giving your account details to anyone as they may visit a site that could get you into a lot of trouble.

Graham L
24-02-2004, 03:39 PM
"How can they tell it's a different user ?..."

Easy. You dial in. You enter user/password . A session is started if the user/password is OK. The accounting software checks for any other sessions owned by the same account id. If it finds a match (or matches) it starts counting $2.50 units in the session's records (Or if it's Orcon, it potentially prepares a nasty surprise for you. ;-)). As each user logs out, only that session is terminated, and the accounting software will add any charges for the session to the user's bill.

Sessions are independent tasks. You can have lots of them running at the same time. The server maintains log files for each session.

metla
24-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Funny little story,well it amused me at the time.

I had a double usage charge on my xtra account,absolutly astounded i rang xtra and insisted no-way-in-hell any one had my password,therefor it was a mistake at their end,They of course disputed that but after swearing on an entire graveyard that no one had my account details they agreed to remove the charge on the condition my password was changed.

No worries.

wouldn't have been 20 minutes later my younger brother rang to say he could no longer get online........

yingxuan
24-02-2004, 04:26 PM
haha funny indeed!

MaryJane
24-02-2004, 07:58 PM
I used to be with an ISP whereby two computers on separate phone lines dialed in and surfed at the same without incurring extra charges. Fortunately for me the ISP didn't have the same polices as Orcon and Xtra. LOL

Poppa John
24-02-2004, 08:13 PM
After reading through all the above posts, I assume our situation is Ok with telecom.
One incoming line into the main XP computer, networked into the 98se computer. Have never struck any extra Xtra charges. I assume that this is because we are on the same phone line & account. The only drawback to this is it slows both our connections down. Have I read this right, is this how it works?? PJ

Tom McB
24-02-2004, 08:30 PM
I saw several $2.50 charges appearing in my acct last year. The statements didn't seem to indicate that somebody was online for any considerable length of time.

Changed my password but it still appeared the next month. Wasn't aware of any virus or spyware, didn't let W98SE remember the password, etc; re-installed everything (sledgehammer approach, I know) and haven't had it since.

tommy
24-02-2004, 08:56 PM
> After reading through all the above posts, I assume
> our situation is Ok with telecom.
> One incoming line into the main XP computer,
> networked into the 98se computer. Have never struck
> any extra Xtra charges. I assume that this is because
> we are on the same phone line & account. The only
> drawback to this is it slows both our connections
> down. Have I read this right, is this how it works??

Yes, you are correct. Using one telephone line will not incur extra charges with Xtra.

Megaman
24-02-2004, 09:18 PM
if you network the computers and share the net connection, there are very few isps that won't allow this (however, they won't like home isps)

FrankS
25-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Interesting, phoned Xtra help yesterday about having a notebook plugged in at the same time as a desktop PC on one phone line, the answer I got was you can connect using either the notebook or the PC, not both. Warned about the $2.50 an hour charge if the notebook was used on another phone line. My query is if the notebook is networked to the PC does it affect the use of the notebook on another line. The working situation is that the PC is in one room used by the grand daughter and the notebook in another room used by the grandson so sparks may fly if both can't get on line at the same time.

yingxuan
25-02-2004, 11:57 AM
the isps won't actually send u a warning email that u are connecting their isp twice as the same time am i right?
They just charge u accordingly

Graham L
25-02-2004, 01:13 PM
PJ: Yes, you're OK. You login only once. Therefore you have only one session. What attracts the charging is dialing in on another line and logging in again.

The occasional charges people see might be owing to"hanging sessions"--sessions which have not been closed properly. If your computer locks up, the session might not be closed. You curse, reboot, and dial in again. The next login might be a second session.

Fire-and-Ice
25-02-2004, 01:41 PM
> Interesting, phoned Xtra help yesterday about having
> a notebook plugged in at the same time as a desktop
> PC on one phone line, the answer I got was you can
> connect using either the notebook or the PC, not
> both.

You would need to have and use two separate phone lines to do this.

> Warned about the $2.50 an hour charge if the
> notebook was used on another phone line.

Correct.

> My query is if the notebook is networked to the PC does it affect
> the use of the notebook on another line.

No. If two computers are networked and one is used as the host to dial in to an ISP they would not even know that there were two computers using the internet. To them all they would see is the computer dialling in.

> The working situation is that the PC is in one room used by the
> grand daughter and the notebook in another room used
> by the grandson so sparks may fly if both can't get
> on line at the same time.

Networking them would solve the problem. ;-)

Greg S
25-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Yeah sadly Xtra are justified in charging the additional fee. No charges are added if you or someone else uses the account elsewhere while no-one else is logged in.