PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Computers and Problems

Raewyn
23-02-2004, 10:19 PM
All Computers are Pentium 100's and 16MB RAM.

Computer # 1: Had a 600MB HDD and a 400MB HDD. Took both HDD's out and put in a 8GB HDD. Rebooted and got Fixed Disk error. Restarted and entered HDD spec's into USER option of BIOS. Restarted and same error. How do I get it to recognise the new HDD?

Computer # 2: HDD wasn't booting up, so swapped it with Computer # 3's HDD and booted with bootdisk to re-install Windows 98. Formatted C:drive and realised I didn't have a CD-ROM to load windows. Took CD-ROM out of Computer # 3 and now Computer # 2 doesn't recognise it.

Computer # 3: Same problem with HDD not booting up. All the lights are on, but nobody's home. LOL. I'm thinking maybe put everything back into this computer and forget about Computer # 2? Hope I haven't lost ya. HELP?

Outlook Express Problem: Since the computers will be networked, I would like the staff to be able to log into any computer and have all their settings, etc. And also their separate email accounts. I thought I had set this up, but I notice whoever logged on last, the profile I log into has another person's emails. Do I need to install Outlook Express and Internet Explorer under each profile/login?

Merlin
23-02-2004, 10:34 PM
> All Computers are Pentium 100's and 16MB RAM.
>
> Computer # 1: Had a 600MB HDD and a 400MB HDD. Took
> both HDD's out and put in a 8GB HDD. Rebooted and
> got Fixed Disk error. Restarted and entered HDD
> spec's into USER option of BIOS. Restarted and same
> error. How do I get it to recognise the new HDD?

Ensure both IDE and power connections are correctly seated.
Ensure the drive is OK
Other suggestions here http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,139+24365+9924,00.html

>
> Computer # 2: HDD wasn't booting up, so swapped it
> with Computer # 3's HDD and booted with bootdisk to
> re-install Windows 98. Formatted C:drive and
> realised I didn't have a CD-ROM to load windows.
> Took CD-ROM out of Computer # 3 and now Computer # 2
> doesn't recognise it.

Ensure the BIOS is set to detect the CD drive.
Check power and IDE cable connections as above

>
> Computer # 3: Same problem with HDD not booting up.
> All the lights are on, but nobody's home. LOL. I'm
> thinking maybe put everything back into this
> computer and forget about Computer # 2? Hope I
> haven't lost ya. HELP?

As for computer 1

>
> Outlook Express Problem: Since the computers will be
> networked, I would like the staff to be able to log
> into any computer and have all their settings, etc.
> And also their separate email accounts. I thought I
> had set this up, but I notice whoever logged on
> last, the profile I log into has another person's
> emails. Do I need to install Outlook Express and
> Internet Explorer under each profile/login?

Settings: Only works with a domain with roaming profiles.
OE: only works with roaming profiles on an NT, 2000 or XP setup

rsnic
23-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Make sure the jumpers are set correctly for slave/primary etc. Each ide channel can only have 1 primary and 1 slave drive.

tweak\'e
23-02-2004, 11:07 PM
check that bios can actually use a 8 gig drive. you may have to limit the size of the drive or upgrade bios.

some of the old pc's won't reconise cd drives as such but the bootdisks will see it.

also the 2nd ide channel often won't work on the early pc's so you have to set the cdrom to slave and connect it onto the primary ide along with the harddrive.

with such underpowered pc's and the minimal ram, win98 will run at snails pace. personally i think its begging for problems. i would stick to win95 and avoid as many of MS programs as possible. 98lite is also a good option if you really want win98.

Raewyn
23-02-2004, 11:11 PM
So it's safe to say a Pentium 100, 16MB RAM computer CAN recognise a 8GB HDD? Waaaaa, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've checked all the cables and making sure it's a master drive, but sometimes I'm not sure whether I'm using the right cables, or doesn't that matter? LOL.

Also, I just had an idea about Oulook Express Emails. We have a file server that I presume all the profiles are being stored? What if I log into each person and install OE in their individual profile folders. Would that then keep all the accounts separated?

Raewyn
23-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Oops, I just saw your message tweak'e. This company wants to use Windows 98, Office 97, Publisher 98, IE & OE. So do ya think the best bet is just to get newer computers and not waste with all these Pentium 100's?

tweak\'e
23-02-2004, 11:25 PM
unless you are very good a stripping out win98, (eg use 98lite and the normal thing to do is to strip out IE) then i would simply upgrade the pc's. theres a fair few 2nd hand p2/p3/atho pc's around that will happly run 98 going at a good price.

Merlin
23-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Unless the server has Exchange installed, the answer is no.

OE does not support file stores on networked drives.

Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what's for lunch
- Orson Welles on reaching 300 pounds

ugh1
24-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Are these P100s compaq, hp or IBM??? or are they generic?

Check jumpers for Master / Slave.

Check BIOS for LBA and check it is enabled, or set to auto.

Check secondary IDE channel is enabled in BIOS, if using it.

Check that UDMA / PIO mode is set to auto in BIOS.

In order for some older BIOS to detect a CDROM the drive type had to be set to NONE.

JohnD
24-02-2004, 08:13 PM
It is really quite easy to set up a local email server using Linux with Sendmail and Qpopper - could use one of your old P100s? Could provide details on this if needed.

Megaman
24-02-2004, 09:07 PM
if you need to get rid of the old computers, i may be able to buy them

see my other post about me planning to set up a cyber cafe :p

Raewyn
28-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Hiya everyone, thanks for your responses. It has been decided to purchase some 2nd hand computers. They will be used for Windows 98, Office 97, Publisher 98, IE & OE. We have found some 2nd hand computers with the following specs:

Pentium 200, 64MB RAM, 2GB HDD, 15' Monitors, Network Card, 6 month warranty, $199.00 + GST

Is this a good deal and is it sufficient to run all the programs that are needed? I'm a little bit behind when it comes to computer spec's, etc. Look forward to your replies. Thanks :-)

xtraka
29-02-2004, 01:16 AM
2 gb hd are way way too old (i had one in 1996) & too slow - you'll run out of space in no time, esp with win98, publisher (loads of clipart) & office. even a 4 gb is too small. go for 10gb. IE 5.5 or 6 will slow it even more.
it may also help to pay a technician to check the computers, despite the warranty. Spend a little more for a Pentium 350+, 128mb ram (so cheap these days).
This will last a little longer, whereas you'll end up with loads of problems with P200, mainly because of age - esp psu. sorry to be so negative, but i have dealt with dozens of companies not knowing & buying old stuff, only to have to buy again! but best of luck.

tweak\'e
29-02-2004, 12:44 PM
> $199.00 + GST

your kidding right ??

with a p200 64meg ram is still very slow and it may be impossible to upgrade the ram to anything decent.

start looking for anything 500mhz and up, 128meg ram or more. price range $300-$500. proberly a k6-2 at the lowest, slot1 processors should be ok (p2,p3).

Mzee
29-02-2004, 04:00 PM
I trust that you have a license from Microsoft for the multiple installation of their software on commercial machines? :(
Or have you the original CD's for each machine?
Uncle Bill will be watching you!

Merlin
01-03-2004, 11:41 AM
This is possible depending on what type of network is planned.

While a peer to peer network is easy to set up, the requirements for users to access personal profiles is a characteristic of a domain network.

Unless finance is of paramont importance, consider a domain network, roaming profiles and implementing Terminal Services using either NT 4.0 or 2000.

Areas then to be aware of are network design, server configuration and data backup.

if finance is of paramont importance then most of what you have indicated is wanted cannot be achieved.

If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron
- Lee Trevino

Raewyn
17-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Hi xtraka,

I noticed you mentioned, "i have dealt with dozens of companies not knowing & buying old stuff, only to have to buy again" Could you direct me to a good 2nd-hand computer place where I can get the spec's that you've mentioned?

I haven't had a lot of time to look around and emailing companies doesn't seem the best way to get the info I'm looking for. So I would love it if I can take a shortcut and go directly to a place. Thank you in advance for your assistance. :-)