PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake Linux 9.1

Glassman
23-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Hello all i am trying my luck at linux again but first of all i would like to thank Graham L for his help last time i was trying Red Hat 9.0.
Now this time i am trying Mandrake 9.1 i have installed it ok and everything is working i have even worked out how to change the wallpaper lol
I am trying to install the Nvidia drivers for my graphics card BUT when i try to change the line in the xf86 config file from "svga" to "nvidia" it lets me change the word but it wont let me save it saying i do not have permisson to do so. Ok so then i opened up a terminal and logged in as su and typed /xf86config it said i do not have permisson to access the file. But i always thought if you logged in as su you could change whatever you wanted. I know i am doing something wrong it would be great if someone could tell me what.Thanks in advance chris

somebody
23-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Log out, and then log in as "root", then you should be able to do whatever you want.

Glassman
23-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks for that but itryed that and it only lets me log in as my user name and not ROOT

JohnD
23-02-2004, 10:35 PM
To log in as root, use the same password that you used when you used su. You would have had to setup a root login as part of the install process.

BTW when you "su" you should really use "su -" . This gives you the environment of the root user - otherwise you log in as root with the original user's environment.

tmrafi
23-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Two things

1. you must change nv to nvidia. Mandrake 9.1 installs the XFree86 nv driver by default if it sees nVidia card

2. You are probably trying t install the driver from within XWindows? Generally you need to be in text mode logged in as root to install the driver.
To boot into text mode, edit /etc/inittab file and modify the initstate to 3 instead of 5, the line is well commented so you should find it fairly easily. Once changed, when you reboot, it will go into text mode where you can login as root and install the driver and modify /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and change nv to nvidia. once changed enter "startx" to see if the nvidia logo shows up and Xwindows startup. once you are satisfied that it is working, edit /etc/inittab and change the initstate to 5 and reboot. This will reboot straight into XWindows as before

Cheers

Graham L
24-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Edir inittab and reboot to go to level 3. ?:| :O There's a command for that. As root, init 3. To stop the X-window, ctrl/alt/backspace works.

Rebooting is for major operations like changing the kernel.