PDA

View Full Version : dial up connection sharing over small network

Codex
23-02-2004, 09:47 PM
I've set up a small network between a Windows 2000 Professional system and a Windows ME system over a male to male network cable and now i'm trying to connect the both to the internet, i've tried using Proxy but it doesn't work, i've also tried other programs but they don't work either is there a way to set up a shared connection without having to have a special program or being an IT professional?

Barnabas
23-02-2004, 10:08 PM
you need to turn on internet connection sharing. For the machine that has the internet connection, say for example the Win2k machine, open up your network connections then right click on the dial up connection and click on properties. Then I think under the advanced tab there should be an internet connection sharing option. Turn this on and you should be away. Just make sure that you havent assigned static ip addresses as I think that ICS assigns one automatically to the host machine of 192.168.0.1.
Hope this helps.
B.

tweak\'e
23-02-2004, 10:59 PM
can you share files over the network?

if a proxy won't work then it sounds like somethings broken with the network.

Codex
24-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Yeah i can share files but i don't know how to set up the proxy settings so that i can use the net from the other pc.

If i setup internet connection sharing on my windows me computer how do i set up the other computer so that it shares the internet connection

tweak\'e
24-02-2004, 09:40 PM
http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/common/