PDA

View Full Version : OE Problem "msoe.dll could not be initialized"

PatM
23-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Over the last week I have been unable to access Outlook Express. When I try to launch it I get an initial message telling me my disk may be full (it isn't - only 2Gb used out of 37GB) and then a second message telling me that Msoe.dll could not be initialized.

I can access IE so I have searched Google and Microsoft.com looking for answers - which tell me my *.dbx files are set to Read Only.

But they are not! All my dbx files are correctly set to Archive with no other boxes checked.

The problem came on quite suddenly - I emailed on Friday 13, shut down as usual and when I tried to use OE on Saturday 14 morning, I encountered the problem which has remained consistent since

stu140103
23-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Hello PatM

Welcome to Press F1 :)

Have you tried reinstalling IE / OE?

If you have & the problem is still the same, what OS do you have?

PatM
23-02-2004, 01:09 PM
I re-installed IE on Saturday. No change.

I am using Win98 (1st release) and OE6.02 with SP1 and, of course, OE6

tommy
23-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Do a search on your computer for *.dbx and check the size of the files found. The Inbox.dbx may have grown too large to be stable.

Jim B
23-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Information here (http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/errors.htm#foldersdbx)

Go to the section - Damaged folders.dbx errors

PatM
23-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks for that Tommy. What is the approximate threshold for such instability to appear? I will check the files when I get home and will report back

PatM
23-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Thanks - that's one of the sites I visited while researching the problem. Trouble is, the only explanation it offers is Read Only *.dbx files. And as I noted in the original message, my dbx files all report with only the Archive attribute checked and all other attributes correclty unchecked.

Jim B
23-02-2004, 04:58 PM
I said to go to the section (scroll down) to Damaged folders.dbx errors.