PDA

View Full Version : microsoft ME problem

demario
23-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Hi everyone,just been looking at my flatmates pc.It is a celeron 833,256sdram,with microsoft me installed.On startup it never seems to stop loading stuff,the cursor arrow doesnt appear and the busy icon just keeps going and goin.

After pressing ctrl alt del there are heaps of things running that ive never heard of,and a certain one that is on there about 30 times.Its called D388k9ynti,I have no idea what it is.I installed norton 2k3 on it but it wont go 4 sum reason,keeps saying 2 reboot.Also ran spybot but it wont finish its scan,never seen that b4 either.I presume this is sum sort of virus???Any body seen this kind of problem b4???Cheers..

robsonde
23-02-2004, 01:16 AM
can you boot the system in to safe mode and then scan for crap?

tweak\'e
23-02-2004, 10:34 AM
odds are its a virus. try AVG its small enough to download and run.

demario
23-02-2004, 01:18 PM
How do I boot it in safe mode?

demario
23-02-2004, 01:18 PM
thanks for the help guys,will try using avg....

dipstick01
23-02-2004, 01:53 PM
For a detailed list of what all that jargon etc is and what is actually running at startup go here (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/) and grab his start up list. Very very good list.

hamstar
23-02-2004, 02:56 PM
To boot into safe mode, hold control on startup.

If the computer beeps twice while starting up then hold control after the second beep until the boot menu appears. However if you reach the WinME loading screen then you have missed your oppurtunity.

You could then try holding it after the 1st beep.

demario
23-02-2004, 04:26 PM
thanks...

Mzee
26-02-2004, 10:35 PM
It sounds as if your ME is constipated :)
Your best bet is to save any data on the primary partition. Format the primary and reinstall ME. You will then have to reinstall your software, and delete any that is not needed. You will then have a very fast and compact system. Do an antivirus scan & Anti spy scan on all partitions before you use it.

45South
26-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Boot into safe mode if you can
Once there go start > run & type msconfig
Go to the startup tab & uncheck everything you don't recognize (won't do any harm to uncheck everything)
Click apply ok etc & reboot normally

Once booted, ctrl alt delete again & check what is still running.
Should only be Explorer & systray
Go to add/remove programs & remove anything you don't recognise except graphics/sound drivers etc.
Also remove nortons.
Delete all emails with attachments unless you know they are safe

If it was me I'd also disable system restore & reboot to safe mode again to purge the restore folder.
Then run spybot & it should complete this time.
Download AVG, update the definitions & do a full system scan.

Reboot normally, download a free reg cleaner or a trial version & clean the registry (backup first)

Reboot to safe mode, scandisk, defrag

Reboot normally

45South
26-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Sorry, I forgot you may have to go back to msconfig & enable any atartup items that are needed.
If you like post a complete list of all items & i'll tell you which ones you need & which ones you don't need

demario
28-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Thanks for your help 45south,I booted it in safe mode,installed AVG and spybot,removed seven different viruses and bout 25 spyware apps.Wasnt my pc thank god,but a friends,also installed a firewall 4 him.Never seen so many viruses at once!!