PDA

View Full Version : Where's all those opened programs?

AZREAL
22-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Hi
Today when I started up my computer, I discovered that my taskbar isn't showing any of the programs i've opened so when I minimize them I can't maximize them unless I do it from the task manager. Aaaarrrrggggghhh! How do I make my taskbar do it's job properly?
Thanks in Advanced!:-)

drcspy
22-02-2004, 09:21 PM
what operating sytsem ?

AZREAL
22-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Win XP Pro

drcspy
22-02-2004, 09:39 PM
start/all programs/accesories/systemtools/system restore.......set it back to before the problem

Greg S
22-02-2004, 09:44 PM
It might be something as simple as your adjuster between the quick-launch bar and taskbar has moved to the extreme right. (in which case just drag it to the left again) Perhaps you could send us a screenshot?

AZREAL
22-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Actually, when I minimize the programs, I see them go to the extreme left.... even further than the quick launch bar..... I've tried by disabling all the toolbars and activating them again but it hasn't worked.

Greg S
22-02-2004, 10:40 PM
In that case it sounds like your task/quick-lauch bars have swapped position - quite easy to do if you mis-click. Just swap em round. Or check that you've not hidden the toolbar (right click empty place on taskbar, properties, uncheck Auto-hide the Taskbar)

AZREAL
22-02-2004, 10:44 PM
nope still nothing...:-(

whiskeytangofoxtrot
22-02-2004, 10:50 PM
> start/all programs/accesories/systemtools/system
> restore.......set it back to before the problem

You seriously would recommend that to fix a trivial problem like this, without trying anything else??

As mentioned, it seems your taskbar is a bit out of whack.

Right Click on an empty area and check if "lock the taskbar" is ticked. If it is, click on it to untick it.

Then try resizing your taskbar - make it a bit taller (mayebe an inch high) and see if you can see the minimised program windows. You should then be able to see if the "Quick Launch" is oversized or something and rectify as appropriate.

Maybe post a screenshot could help as well :)

AZREAL
22-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Uh this may sound stupid but how do you make a screenshot?
I know where to upload but not make one

drcspy
23-02-2004, 05:33 AM
whiskeytangofoxtrot............it would be nice if you didn't make comments designed to show how you like to belittle my suggestions........

the fact is simple it' woulda been fixed already and very very easy to do without all this wondering what/why etc etc has caused the problem.........restore one day.......problem gone.........simple.....

AZREAL
23-02-2004, 08:50 AM
Ok I've just tried system restore but it won't let me saying that it can't restore as there's no change to the system............... I've pulled my taskbar up and there is no opened programs listed there.

drcspy
23-02-2004, 09:24 AM
heres a possibility

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/r1060245067

and this from

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20518812.html

There are actually 2 solutions. The problem is definitely something in the registry.

1. Create new users and tranfer necessary data (not settings). This creates new settings for all the users, and in so doing clears the conflicting settings. This solution is problematic, because I cannot afford to transfer my settings to a new user. This is a very heavily used development station. But it gave me the clue to the second solution.

2. This solution is a bit more complex.
Login for each user experiencing this problem and perform the following operations.
Open up regedit, browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer.
Export the key to back it up.
Delete the Explorer key.
Logout and then log back in.
Open the registry to the same key - it has been recreated.
Import the backed up registry over the recreated one (do not delete first).
This will restore the settings previously in the registry, and irradicate the problem. Beats me why this works - but it does.

LUCK

AZREAL
23-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Hey problem solved. Just had to delete the key for explorer in regedit and log out and log back in.............. it's that easy....
thanks for all the help!!!

drcspy
23-02-2004, 02:23 PM
EXCELLENT glad to have helped

Fire-and-Ice
23-02-2004, 02:38 PM
> EXCELLENT glad to have helped

Good one drcspy. Well done. ;-)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
23-02-2004, 06:06 PM
> whiskeytangofoxtrot............it would be nice if
> you didn't make comments designed to show how you
> like to belittle my suggestions........
>
> the fact is simple it' woulda been fixed already and
> very very easy to do without all this wondering
> what/why etc etc has caused the
> problem.........restore one day.......problem
> gone.........simple.....

Well for one, he tried it and it didn't fix it, but it's not a fix per se.

Reinstalling windows would've fixed it, buying a new computer would've fixed it, but they aren't realistic fixes.

He wanted a fix, not a workaround.

drcspy
23-02-2004, 06:19 PM
yeh and you didn't supply it ...........................I did so go suck a lemon or something.........or.........maybe you already did ?........you kinda look like you may have ......or sound it .......or something

whiskeytangofoxtrot
23-02-2004, 06:26 PM
> yeh and you didn't supply it
> ...........................I did so go suck a lemon
> or something.........or.........maybe you already did
> ?........you kinda look like you may have ......or
> sound it .......or something

right...

drcspy
23-02-2004, 07:14 PM

whiskeytangofoxtrot
23-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Go easy you'll wear the . key out on your keyboard.

System restore probably won't fix that either.