PDA

View Full Version : SuSE Linux- Xserver / Nvidia / YOU update stuffup

Nigel Thomson
22-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Greetings all
Ok the problem is as below, basically I had my SUSE linux machine running sweet as a nut (got the NForce network card working, Thanks Guys), then discovered SUSE Update thingie and used it, noe the X environment doesnt work..........

The system
AMD 2.6+
Mobo = A7N8X-X
winfast 64 MB Graphics card

The Problem
I was running SUSE 8.2 on the system, the only thing I had to alter to get everything working correctly, was adding the nforce drivers to configure the nforce network card thingie, got that working by downloading an RPM from the nvidia site, this all installed fine.
The system had been operating fine until this afternoon when I discovered YOU (I am new to SuSe), So I decided to do an online update, accepted all the patches, and let it download them and then let it install them.
The only message I got was to execute the command
/sbin/lilo
once installation had finished and before i rebooted, I dutifully did this, and then i decided to reboot.
On reboot I noticed that...
the network services eth0 failed (it worked previously)
and that instead of booting straight into a graphical login screen the screen blinked three times and dropped me at the comand prompt for a CLI login
So i logged in here, got in, typed startX
the screen flicked and then came back with a X10 xserver error

I think the error has something to do with the nvidia driver that was downloaded during the YOU update

a line from the error message was

device /dev/nvidiact1(no such device)

How do I get round this, is it as simple as putting replacing the new XF86Config file with the old XF86Config (if it still exists)

And how do i go about getting back my network connections?

Thanks
Nigel

Jen C
22-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Last time I used SuSE it had YaST for updating :)

The message you got to restart Lilo suggests that you downloaded a kernel update. Did this happen?
At a command prompt run uname -r which will give you your current kernel version.

When you first boot up, did you notice that Lilo gives you another kernel version to boot?

Did you have a nVidia video driver installed previously? If you did, you will need to re-run the nVidia .run installer as you now have a different kernel version that the driver was compiled for therefore X will not load. The nVidia website has a specific video driver readme for SuSE systems which unfortunately is unaccessible at the moment.

The same for the nForce onboard network drivers you installed. These were for the default kernel that came with SuSE 8.2. You will need to redo these for the new kernel. You can read more here (http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.0-0261/ReleaseNotes_Linux_nForce_1.0-0261.html) and here (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261).

Gorela
23-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Hi Nigel,

The problem most likely occurred when you tried to alter the lilo boot loader. If you did a default install you would have had Grub as your boot loader and not lilo :)

There are basically two options you can try. When X falls over log in as root and type yast2. From there you will want to access and reconfigure your video card. If yast2 fails, you can also try yast.

The other way is to put the SuSE disks back in and do a recovery install.

HTH

Gorela
23-02-2004, 12:24 AM
Hi Jen C,

Yast Online Update or YOU ;)

Don't you just hate a smart alec :)

Graham L
23-02-2004, 04:31 PM
You certainly have LILO as the boot manager now. ;-) Does it give you a choice between a couple of linux versions? Try the alternate one ... it might be your previous (working) setup. :D