PDA

View Full Version : net working 2 win 98 computers

ahoundau
22-02-2004, 07:56 PM
hi,

i have a laptop and a desktop both running win98se, and i am lead to believe that networking to each other via a cross over cable is a simple matter - whilst not plug and play its easy to set up and runs ok - is this a realistic idea?

i have a external slot in the laptop for which i can buy a network card , bu t the desktop is currenlty with out a network card - how do i ascertain if there is room or the right connectors to put one in?

cheers will wright

JohnD
22-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Take the top off the system unit and have a look to see if there are any spare PCI slots - they are white. Take a trip to a PC or electronics shop and get a RTL8139 or equivalent network interface card - about $20 or even less.

ahoundau
22-02-2004, 08:54 PM
hi john

thanks for that reply - for an absolute beginner - where abouts on the mother board would i look for pci slots - there is a couple of drive bays free in the system - some one said near the power supply - ? any partilcular location or number of pins?

cheers will wright

Megaman
22-02-2004, 09:02 PM
look around the back of your computer.

do you see some flat metal bars 1 cm (or so) on the back?

they are pci slots

on newer computers the graphics card will probably be in an agp slot, and on older computers half of them will probably be isa slots

if you see at least one free, good. you can install a network card

in none free, you can still get usb-to-ethernet thingys. i don't know where to get them. probably belkin.com