PDA

View Full Version : Secondhand motherboards with processors

Curly
21-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Over the past few months, I have been noteing the various secondhand mb's with processors that are listed for auction on TradeMe. My purpose was to fiind out just what mb went with what processor, so I could purchase the items new rather than second hand. Sneaky Huh !!

Is it a coincidence, of the 9 listings of mb/cpu that I have found, all have an AMD XP whatever, processor and none Intel.

Admitantly (?), I have been looking for a CPU of 2Ghz or over, but still I would have thought Intel would have been at least 50 % of the items offered.

So what's wrong with Intel?

Billy T
21-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Hi Curly, strikes me that this could mean that once you have your Intel CPU you don't want to sell it.:p Conversely, perhaps AMD buyers have issues that make them want to change their CPU more often. I have always had Intel and never had problems.

No doubt somebody (or three, or many) will advance alternative explanations.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Fire-and-Ice
21-02-2004, 06:33 PM
<theory>

Hard core gamers are more likely to buy AMD processors due to "getting more bang for your buck" (according to them) and are also likely to upgrade their systems more often, hence the flooded AMD listings. ;-)

</theory>

whiskeytangofoxtrot
21-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Uh oh... I see another AMD v Intel thread coming on....

Just call into a PC store and have a yarn to one of the staff (not like Dick Smith or Bond&Bond - a REAL PC store) - they should be able to tell ya all you need to know...

and for the record... AMD.

metla
21-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Chances are that most of the listings on trademe for cpu's over 2g will be brand new items anyway.