PDA

View Full Version : Windows Explorer XPPro

Happy Harry
21-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Hi F1ers
Thinking caps for this one.
Im running XPPro, with current updates on a Compaq P4 1.6 Gig PC, 256Meg RAM and a 30 Gig HD.
I have installed and up to date Nortons AV and Adaware 6 to catch/find any nasties.
My problem is, that as soon I try to open Windows Explorer the PC seems to freeze. I can move the mouse pointer around and click on icons to open, but nothing happens.
If I Ctrl/Alt/Del and look at Task manager( I have to wait some time before this opens) I see that the CPU is 100% in use ?
Only a power down seems to resolve this issue.
If I reboot and dont use Win Explorer, the PC and progs seem to operate as they should.

Any ideas anyone.

Cheer
HH

Megaman
21-02-2004, 12:07 PM
try running adaware/spybot search and destroy

Happy Harry
21-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks Megaman,
been there, done that, still the same.??

HH

Megaman
21-02-2004, 12:17 PM
try trogan removal tool/virus scan

Pheonix
21-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Try using start-run and enter msconfig. In the STARTUP tab, remove ticks from the Nortons AV that starts up. Now restart and see if it still happens. If not, repeat above, but put ticks back instead.

If you want a free anti-trojan scanner, go here (http://www.anti-trojan.net/) But update before using.

AL...
21-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Go here http://www.net-integration.net/tools/hijackthis.html
Read about and get "hijack this". Unzip it to it's own folder then run it. Scan and save a log for posting here. The log can be opened with notepad and the content's posted (copy and paste please) in your new reply.

******Do not fix anything******

This will show what's running on your comp.

Al.

Happy Harry
21-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi All
At the moment I am running an online virus scan from Macafee to hopefully find my problem.
I have had a good look thru the registry and found a few things that did not look kosher and have removed them.
In the task manager I found a file called C7na.exe that I have no idea what it does.
By doing a search thru Internet explorer I was able to find that this file came into my system about the time it all turned to custard.
I have copied and deleted the file to see if this helps.
Will try all the other suggestions when I have finished the scan
Will keep you informed
Cheers all,