PDA

View Full Version : Content Blockers

Murray P
20-02-2004, 02:34 PM
I'm looking for a web content blocker to restrict access to certain sites. So far I have downloaded Proximatron and Wewasher. Any comment on those and more will be appreciated.

Win2k, Mozilla Firefox, Kerio Personal Firewall (free), PCcillin 2002, Spybot.

Cheers Murray P

albatross
20-02-2004, 04:51 PM
If you start having problems with sites not displaying properly, get rid of webwasher.

A.

Murray P
20-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Hi albatross

I haven't installed anything yet. Was hoping to get a little bit of feedback.

So WebWasher slows web page loading, I expected some slowdown but you suggest it's too big a price, how slow?

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
20-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Just re-read you post: sites don't display properly, rather than a slow down. Would that not be an image blocking function that can be tweaked. (Obviouse thing to do, is to laod it up and see I guess ;) )

Cheers Murray P

Fire-and-Ice
20-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Isn't a Hosts file of any use to you?

albatross
20-02-2004, 05:44 PM
On a number of sites I visited, the pages showed only in programming script(not to sure what it's called),this would happen on about 30% of sites.Ironically the adds weren't affected.As I said ,it took ages to work out what was causing this.
I'm not knocking webwasher and it's not going to hurt,just keep this in mind if you do install and strange things start occuring,I run Zone Alarm and Visual Zone, so there may have been a conflict between these programs, I'm not technically knowledgeable so am unable to understand some things that happen at times.
Cheers
A.

Murray P
20-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanks for your comments F&I & albatross.

Hmm, a hosts file is an option but a bit labour intensive (IMO, willing to learn tho). I would rather block the obviouse and use wild cards for the rest and then sort it out as I go along. ie, be harsh then loosen up as required. Mind you I'd be pretty pissed if PF1 or the some .govt site I visit got blocked, then again, my puter is not realy the issue but, if I apply web filtering it will be on all puters at thi slocation with access, no exceptions.

I could enable filtering in PCcillin or Kerio (as some have suggested to use ZA in another thread) but, it's add a web address type of thing and , AFAIK wild cards and search terms don't apply plus I have to buy the thing when it's not it's main function.

So, is it easy to add wild cards and generic type sites to a hosts file? What other (free, of course) software is out there?

Cheers Murray P

beetle
20-02-2004, 11:51 PM
i was thinking a really good content blocker is the off Button...:p

beetle

Murray P
21-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Yer, it would be would'nt it beet. But that would spoil all the fun and I would not have a problem to solve.

I'm also starting to see the Trusted Computing light. I read it this way, I could impose my parental authority and confront the "suspected" perp's or add some enhancements to the system. Think I'll give Bill a tinkle for some tips B-)

Cheers Murray P

PS. i'm sure I was taller.

beetle
21-02-2004, 12:09 AM
Oh you mean computing is meant to be FUN?????????

since when?

beetle

metla
21-02-2004, 12:21 AM
Fun?

well,adding a monitor was a big step towards making them fun,a box which consisted of 3 flashing lights and nothing else must have been boring.

beetle
21-02-2004, 12:26 AM
so where do the mouse and keyboard fit in?
they have flicky lights too.

beetle

metla
21-02-2004, 12:31 AM
They fed them bits of paper with holes punched in it.

No mouse required.

mikebartnz
21-02-2004, 12:45 AM
The hosts file is the way to go and while you are at it add any sites you visit regularly to it. eg PressF1 is 210.48.100.45 pressf1.pcworld.co.nz and to stop a site 127.0.0.1 The site you don't want.net
Since I added my regular sites to the hosts file my cruising has speeded up quite noticeably.

beetle
21-02-2004, 12:53 AM
this host file option where and how do you do this????
i am lost, i understand why it should work but dont know what to do to set it up.

beetle

mikebartnz
21-02-2004, 01:13 AM
In Win 2K/XP go to Windows\System32\Drivers\etc and in 9x/ME go to Windows and open the hosts file.( use notepad) Mine looks something like this

127.0.0.1 localhost

202.89.128.27 pop.qsi.net.nz
202.27.208.242 pop.contact.net.nz
210.48.100.45 pressf1.pcworld.co.nz
212.100.234.54 www.theregister.co.uk
195.27.247.203 www.shortnews.com
209.240.133.249 www.aardvark.co.nz
63.236.73.20 linuxtoday.com
69.56.255.194 www.theinquirer.net
206.14.107.141 www.infoworld.com
203.167.227.118 tradpost.sendme.to

127.0.0.1 Site I don't want.net
and all other sites I don't want pointing to 127.0.0.1 ( I have about a thousand advert site listed)
Basicaly what happens is the hosts file is the first port of call for a lookup

Murray P
21-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi Mike

Are there ready made lists out there that you can add to your hots file?

Off to google I go.

Cheers Murray P

Scouse
21-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Hi Mike
Tell me a little about site 127.0.0.1 and why ou don't want it. Pops up on my screen from time to time. Thanks

PoWa
21-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Seriously you can't block off all the bad sites with a host file! The file would have to be 3Gb+ in size!

You want something that filters out sites based on keywords on the webpage. I've used ZA Pro and its pretty good. I found out if they try disabling the program, it stops you using the internet until you reboot.

Only problem I've seen was when someone tried to access their hotmail and it wouldn't let them near the page, because hotmail had a news article on it regarding the last superbowl.

Graham L
21-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Scouse: it's the one site you can't escape. I don't know what horrors might be available there. :_|

(It's what is known as the loopback interface, "localhost.localnet": your computer. It is necessary for some network things to have it available.)

The numeric addresses are what the Internet understands. The hosts file works in this application by translating a name "site.network" to a numeric IP address. If you translate a name to 127.0.0.1, that site is effectively invisible.

Scouse
21-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Yes... thanks Graham, though I'm still none the wiser.
It pops up here with a small dialogue box inviting me to enter my name and password. Ignored, it just seems to go away.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
21-02-2004, 01:34 PM
> Yes... thanks Graham, though I'm still none the
> wiser.
> It pops up here with a small dialogue box inviting me
> to enter my name and password. Ignored, it just
> seems to go away.

Most probably virus scanner related, many virus scanners work by pointin the mail program at 127.0.0.1 and then running e-mail through a POP proxy.

Thus your localhost, requesting your password to pass to the POP proxy, whcih then collects your mail.*

*over-simplified - it's a touch more involved than that

Fire-and-Ice
21-02-2004, 06:29 PM
> Hmm, a hosts file is an option but a bit labour intensive (IMO, willing to learn tho).

Not really. Get yourself a ready made one and if you find yourself being blocked from sites you need, which would likely be rare, just edit the Hosts file to allow them.

> Mind you I'd be pretty pissed if PF1 or the some .govt site I visit got blocked

Not really likely to happen. In fact you'll probably appreciate the Hosts file even more. ;-)

> So, is it easy to add wild cards and generic type sites to a hosts file?

No problem at all, very easy.

> Are there ready made lists out there that you can add to your hots file?

There are ready made Hosts files available. Some links to Hosts files here (http://www.smartin-designs.com/) and check out this site (http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html) for lots of good info. Make sure you read this one (http://accs-net.com/hosts/faq.html#19) as well since you are using Win 2000. ;-)

tweak\'e
21-02-2004, 08:21 PM
> >So, is it easy to add wild cards and generic type sites to a hosts file?

>No problem at all, very easy.

really ?? how ??

<quote>
Some restrictions on the Hosts file:
(1.) It will not work with wildcards, such as *.whateveryouwantgoeshere.com.
2.) It will not work with URL's that begin with IP numbers.
(3.) It will not work with ads that are served from the same site you are viewing
4.) It may cause some sites to quit working properly.
</quote>